The 4th of July - Independence Day - is the most significant date in the history of the United States - and it is a national holiday for good reason. We - Americans - are celebrating the signing of the Declaration of Independence and our freedom from the Kingdom of Great Britain in 1776. Today we continue to enjoy the liberties that the 4th of July has come to symbolize in our daily lives.
Celebrations on the fourth go hand-in-hand with fireworks, picnics and....parades! Many towns, villages, and cities across the United States will host such processions in their streets. Parades that honor our nation and promote patriotism - to be enjoyed by all....or not?
A recent study by two assistant professors at Harvard University concluded that the Fourth of July parades are "right-wing." They only serve to promote patriotism, which Republicans seem to appreciate significantly more than their Democratic counterparts. The Harvard study concluded that those who attend 4th of July parades share the following traits:
- When (attending a 4th of July parade) done before the age of 18, it increases the likelihood of a youth identifying as a Republican by at least 2 percent.
- It raises the likelihood that parade watchers will vote for a Republican candidate by 4 percent.
- It boosts the likelihood a reveler will vote by about 1 percent and increases the chances they'll make a political contribution by 3 percent.
Attending 4th of July parades has been found to be of no help to Democrats, much to the chagrin of Democratic politicians who march in them. For the Dems, the parades appear to be a waste of time. The Republicans turn out in droves, celebrating patriotism and the birth of our nation. Yet, the celebration apparently falls flat - according to this study - for those of the left - or Democratic - side of the political aisle. The study even concludes that if people wish to celebrate the Fourth of July in a real super patriotic way - they should head to Republican areas.
You can read all about the study at: http://www.hks.harvard.edu/fs/dyanagi/Research/FourthOfJuly.pdf
This leads to the question, what type of parades DO benefit Dems? What types of parades do Dems and liberals support? Protests against taking away entitlements? Anti-war marches? Diversity parades? Walks in favor of socialism? Hikes for the rights of illegal aliens? Marches against private successful businesses? Save the Whales processions?
As for the Harvard study - no surprise there. When the President of the United States own wife - Michelle Obama - isn't proud of her own country - until her hubby becomes a candidate for office, what else can we expect? And when the President himself fulfills the self-appointed role as the Apologizer-In-Chief to the rest of the world - criticizing the very country he was elected to represent, well, should we be shocked? No.
It is really a sad day for America and Americans when all of us cannot be proud, patriotic, and supportive of the freedoms we have and the country we live in. To say that Fourth of July parades are "right-wing" just has to be absurd!!!
That would be like school children not including the words "under God" when they recite the Pledge of Allegiance....or not allowing firefighters to wear the American flag on their uniforms.... or not allowing the National Anthem to be sung before sporting events....or not allowing high school students to wear t-shirts with the American flag on them, cuz it might offend those celebrating Cinco De Mayo.... or not allowing Old Glory to wave...
Hmmmm......on second thought.....
Have a happy and safe 4th of July - no matter what your political persuasion! Just remember - freedom isn't free and America is STILL the greatest country on the face of the earth - no matter that a few Americans appear to disagree!!!
- "It looks like it may be a terrible tragedy???" (0)
- OK, so Obama is WORST president ever...what's next? (0)
- C'mon - bring 'em on in!!! Future Democratic voters of America unite! (0)
- Worst president ever... (0)
- Congrats to Dave Brat!!! (0)
- Obama's Foreign Policy summed up in one tweet... (0)
- Come Mr. Taliban, Taliban banana...daylight come and me wanna go home... (0)
- "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive." - Walter Scott (0)
- Obama is angry...again! (0)
- Another 3 a.m. phone call that Hillary refused to answer... (0)
- More It's Hemmer Time posts