The blog is a view of life, science, politics and education from an engineering perspective. As engineers, we are taught to view the world objectively. We can hope, believe and calculate a particular outcome, but natural laws are inflexible and pay no heed to who we are or what we believe. We must approach the objective dispassionately, while compensating for our own distorted perceptions. Balance is also a key element; balancing between the ideal and the pragmatic, balancing cost and functionality, balancing analysis with action, etc.
Scheduling routine critical self-analysis is the foundation to objectivity. If we do not fully understand and compensate for our own failures, tendencies, habits and skewed thought processes, we will not see the world as it is. Without a regular critical self-analysis we will see the world as we are and then fall prey to self-delusion.
Failure is a great teacher. When failure is coupled with perseverance, it produces the fruit of patience and humility. An engineer, fresh out of engineering school is typically set up for failure early and often. The failure breaks the new engineer of any ideas of self-importance, arrogance and book smarts. Only then can the new engineer be formed and molded into a productive element in the industry.
Phil Mickelson made the news earlier this week when complaining about the taxes that he pays to the Golden State. He mentioned the idea of moving to Florida to save millions in taxes.
“There are going to be some drastic changes for me because I happen to be in that zone that has been targeted both federally and by the state and, you know, it doesn't work for me right now,” he said. “So I'm going to have to make some changes."
California voters in November approved Proposition 30, which, in addition to raising the state sales tax, carries a menu of new tax brackets that hit millionaires like Mickelson hard.
Phil was defended by Tiger Woods who claimed that taxes were a key element in his decision to move from California to Florida.
- A 12.3% top state tax rate, up from 9.3%, on income above $1 million.
- A 1% state mental health surcharge levied on incomes above $1 million.
- A 3.8% Medicare tax rate, which includes a new 0.9% Medicare surcharge on earnings above $250,000.
And since Phil is self-incorporated, he pays an additional:
- 1% in state disability insurance taxes.
- 6.2% for state unemployment taxes.
- 1.2% in federal unemployment taxes (also paid by corporations in Florida).
- 0.1% in state employment training taxes.
On top of the income taxes, Californians pay high usage fees and property taxes (in comparison to Florida).
In 2012, Phil’s income was $61 million in winnings and endorsements. Gregg Wind, a partner at Wind & Stern, an accounting firm in Los Angeles, claims that Phil could save about $8 million on his 2012 taxes by moving to Florida.
Phil Mickelson back-peddled from his comments on taxation after getting hit with the firestorm that it had created and apologized for his insensitivity.
Comments made about Phil:
“He is a pampered 1%er”
“un-patriotic and selfish”
“Flee-bagger, avoiding the payment of his fair share”
And many comments that can't be repeated here.
My thoughts on Phil:
People pay to watch you play golf, not to talk politics. Don’t wade into politics and economics unless you have a backbone and can take some heat. If you want to move to Florida, go ahead and save $8 million, just don’t advertise it or politicize it. In this environment of hyper political polarization, it is best not to speak your mind if you are an entertainer…unless you are a liberal entertainer. But at least Phil was not advocating for a policy or policy change, he was just venting, and so would I if I was losing $8 million.
- Venezuela: the liberal utopia (0)
- ISIS (0)
- The problem that Israel poses for Democrats (0)
- War with China (0)
- Owen Paterson and the big green blob (0)
- The immigration issue (0)
- The rise of ISIS (0)
- IRS; the multipurpose vindictive tool (0)
- The FDA and cheese (0)
- New EPA regulations (0)
- Sylvester Lewis (0)
- 15th annual White privilege conference (0)
- VA Care (0)
- Hawaii College campus (0)
- The deterioration of humanity (0)
- The KM referendum (0)
- Larry Elder (0)
- Zombie attack (0)
- A tribute to Mandela (0)
- mitochondrial replacement therapy (0)
- The British crack down on the free press (0)
- Obamacare's new revelations (0)
- A conflict brewing (0)
- I pledge (0)
- My response to the human condition (0)
- The human condition (0)
- The carnage in Nairobi Kenya (0)
- Separation of church and state (0)
- The anatomy of a government program (0)
- Has everyone lost the ability to think? (0)
- Syrian saber rattling (0)
- Declassified CIA documents (0)
- The new al Qaeda threat (0)
- Detroit (153)
- Reflection (32)
- June 30th demonstration in Tahrir Square (83)
- Notes (81)
- Moses' Song (46)
- NSA wire tap (108)
- McCain and the terrorists (168)
- Power of the ballot box (50)
- The Raw Milk Debate (192)
- Congressional hearings (79)
- Israeli attack on Syria (101)
- The reserve currency (121)
- Who Is Dzhokhar Tsarnaev? (185)
- The Boston tragedy (6)
- Dmitry Orlov, The coming collapse (183)
- clash of ideologies (118)
- Chavez (90)
- F-35 update (14)
- Virtual on-line schools (51)
- Webster Tarpley (37)
- Australia's anti-insult law (34)
- Phil Mickelson (38)
- The Syrian conflict (15)
- The Good Samaritan (24)
- Political satire of PJ O'Rourke (63)
- Conflict within the NRA (68)
- My priorities (29)
- working hard to avoid paying taxes (83)
- New Developments in Egypt (52)
- Avoiding the fiscal cliff (45)
- The time of pain and miracles (12)
- The criticism - course correction continuum (27)
- The Petraeus Hearings (22)
- U-2 Spy plane (3)
- The parable of the Prodigal Son (29)
- Defending the freedom to fail (43)
- The Benghazi attack (43)
- Tammy Baldwin (65)
- Who was Jesus? (27)
- The collapse of a civilization (22)
- What is the final objective of liberalism? (38)
- The Matrix (19)
- Sheeple (9)
- The Sheboygan crime (5)
- Apologist in chief (18)
- The emergence of the F-35 (11)
- Chicago Teacher's strike (16)
- Understanding President Obama (136)
- The truth about Green jobs (17)
- Plastics supplier in Ontario (16)
- The real war on women (101)
- Fast and Furious (71)
- The Electric Vehicle (30)
- The Cost of Government (26)
- Crumbling moral infrastructure (22)
- Cracks appear in the derivative markets (13)
- tackling tradition (51)
- Obama's war on religion (73)
- Electric motor efficiency standards (33)
- Energy subsidies (48)
- The truth about Arab Spring (50)
- Einstein; on God and creation (64)
- The cost of driving is artificially high (27)
- The Brothers Karamazov (7)
- Compliance with regulation (22)
- Mining in Wisconsin (104)
- Ownership of tools (33)
- The car that government built (19)
- More The Engineering Perspective posts