All KINDS of stuff. Mostly ideas... politics, science, religion, fishing, food ....stuff that your mom told you wasnt polite to discuss.
.... is Axial Tilt!!!!
At 11:11 am today (Sat, Dec 21st), the north hemisphere of our Earth will stop its apparent tipping away from the Sun. In doing so, it leaves behind the shortest 24 hrs of daylight behind. Good riddance.
Early peoples, not having the internet, spent alot of time watching and taking note of such occurrances year after year. Generation after generation. Not coincidentally, they would often celebrate the point when they knew that the drearyness was ending, and they'd celebrate it with whatever light they could muster.
And almost everyone has copied them since. All those "made up" holidays are just a repackaging of the primeval knowledge that light is better than darkness. The Solstice is the only one of them all that is physically measurable, and therefore "truthier" than the others. Sez me.
But good for all of the other johnny-come-lately holidays, I say, because even if you thought that festooning your house with a couple of killowatts of lighting would scare the darkness away, or ANY other reason you did it, Im glad you do it.
- 26.5th Topic – The Re-Freeze (0)
- 26th Topic – The Freeze and the Noise (0)
- 25th Topic - Things that Science has Proved: (0)
- 24th Topic - New Years Revolutions (0)
- 23rd Topic - The Time Has Arrived ..... (0)
- 22nd Topic - The Reason for the Season .... (0)
- 21st Topic - Merry Holiday Melodies (0)
- 20th Topic - Dispatch from the War (0)
- 19th Topic- Pass the Hanukah Turkey, Please (0)
- 18th Topic - Impeach Obama (0)
- More GarberPark posts