Sussex Hamilton junior Nick Patterson returned a squib kickoff 78 yards for a game-winning touchdown with 22 seconds on the clock Friday night, as Hamilton stunned Mukwonago with the 31-27 victory.
Mukwonago had just navigated 69 yards without any timeouts on a drive that began at the 2:55 mark to take a 27-24 lead. Quarterback Derek Hasanoglu found Nate Tanguay -- a sophomore making his first reception of the season -- wide open in the end zone for a 5-yard score that temporarily sent the Mukwonago sideline into pandemonium.
But Patterson, who said afterward he was responsible for the breakdown that led to the MHS touchdown -- turned the tables by bursting up the middle for a game-winning scamper.
Mike Kelty scored twice on the same reverse play --once from 30 and once from 79 yards. The latter gave his team a 24-20 lead. Hasanoglu (148 yards rushing, 52 yards passing) brought the Indians back in a nonconference tilt that has a history of dramatic finishes -- the same two teams went to triple overtime last year.
Aaron Clinton-Earl for Hamilton and Josh Tilander for Mukwonago both cleared 100 yards rushing.
Visit the Digital Bleachers to relive the night's events.
- YMCA Healthy Kids Day Saturday (0)
- Sunset Drive accident kills 2 (0)
- Sunset Drive closed in Genesee (0)
- Judge approves sale of local American TV store (0)
- Waukesha County prepares for national drug disposal day (0)
- Woman charged with stealing handgun from Oconomowoc house (0)
- Zoning for Delafield development approved (0)
- Highway 67 drivers, take note (0)
- Waukesha County prescription drug collection set for April 26 (0)
- Nass set to run for re-election in 33rd assembly district (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts