Sussex Hamilton junior Nick Patterson returned a squib kickoff 78 yards for a game-winning touchdown with 22 seconds on the clock Friday night, as Hamilton stunned Mukwonago with the 31-27 victory.
Mukwonago had just navigated 69 yards without any timeouts on a drive that began at the 2:55 mark to take a 27-24 lead. Quarterback Derek Hasanoglu found Nate Tanguay -- a sophomore making his first reception of the season -- wide open in the end zone for a 5-yard score that temporarily sent the Mukwonago sideline into pandemonium.
But Patterson, who said afterward he was responsible for the breakdown that led to the MHS touchdown -- turned the tables by bursting up the middle for a game-winning scamper.
Mike Kelty scored twice on the same reverse play --once from 30 and once from 79 yards. The latter gave his team a 24-20 lead. Hasanoglu (148 yards rushing, 52 yards passing) brought the Indians back in a nonconference tilt that has a history of dramatic finishes -- the same two teams went to triple overtime last year.
Aaron Clinton-Earl for Hamilton and Josh Tilander for Mukwonago both cleared 100 yards rushing.
Visit the Digital Bleachers to relive the night's events.
- Friends of Vernon Marsh hold educational small prairie burn today (0)
- Easter activities for the whole family (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- Big Bend/Vernon Lions host egg hunt (0)
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts