Sussex Hamilton junior Nick Patterson returned a squib kickoff 78 yards for a game-winning touchdown with 22 seconds on the clock Friday night, as Hamilton stunned Mukwonago with the 31-27 victory.
Mukwonago had just navigated 69 yards without any timeouts on a drive that began at the 2:55 mark to take a 27-24 lead. Quarterback Derek Hasanoglu found Nate Tanguay -- a sophomore making his first reception of the season -- wide open in the end zone for a 5-yard score that temporarily sent the Mukwonago sideline into pandemonium.
But Patterson, who said afterward he was responsible for the breakdown that led to the MHS touchdown -- turned the tables by bursting up the middle for a game-winning scamper.
Mike Kelty scored twice on the same reverse play --once from 30 and once from 79 yards. The latter gave his team a 24-20 lead. Hasanoglu (148 yards rushing, 52 yards passing) brought the Indians back in a nonconference tilt that has a history of dramatic finishes -- the same two teams went to triple overtime last year.
Aaron Clinton-Earl for Hamilton and Josh Tilander for Mukwonago both cleared 100 yards rushing.
Visit the Digital Bleachers to relive the night's events.
- Meeting to discuss possible extension to Springdale Road (0)
- Traffic backup on I-94 eastbound near Sawyer Road (0)
- Eagle firefighter dies in fatal Town of Mukwonago accident (0)
- East Troy Community Band hosts Swing Nouveau (0)
- Hartland plan commission approves preliminary plans for new subdivision (0)
- Rep. David Craig recognized for support of Wisconsin industry (0)
- County briefs Delafield on waste contracts (0)
- Drivers Ed class to begin Aug. 4 at Hamilton High School (0)
- Body pulled from private pond (0)
- Swallow School hosts presentation and tour on Tuesday (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts