Last night, the Big Bend Village Board approved an ordinance establishing its own fire department.
The Joint Big Bend-Vernon Fire Department is slated to disband at the end of this year, and the two communities have been working to come up with workable plans for providing services to their residents. Vernon recently extended a proposal for Big Bend to contract with the town for fire protection and EMS.
Village President James Soneberg said the Village Board was not satisfied with the Town of Vernon's response to questions over that contract.
Trustees had hoped for a contract longer than one year and thought the town's responses were too "vague," he added.
Board members also felt they were too far along with their own department. At this point, they have hired a chief, staff, and purchased the necessary equipment.
For more on this story, see next week's Mukwonago Chief.
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Rock thrown through Mukwonago Food Pantry window overnight (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- Give a pint, get a pint at Mukwonago community blood drive (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts