Jefferson – Prosecutors dropped three charges against Andrew J. Wirth today prior to his trial for allegedly slaying a Town of Oconomowoc police officer and her boyfriend outside of a Jefferson bar early Dec. 6.
Jefferson County Circuit Court Judge Jennifer Weston granted District Attorney Susan Happ’s motion to have of three counts of first-degree reckless endangering safety dismissed.
Wirth, 25, of Jefferson, is charged with two counts of first-degree intentional homicide for the death of officer Jennifer Luick, 37, and her boyfriend Gregg Peters, 40, outside of Vinnie’s Rock Bottom tavern.
According to the criminal complaint, Luick pinched Wirth in the buttocks, an act that eventually led to a confrontation outside the bar between Wirth and Peters. Wirth then allegedly shot Peters three times, with one bullet also hitting Luick.
Happ told jurors in her opening argument Luick was a “beautiful, confident, vibrant woman” who was being “silly, including pinching.” Happ said the actions were not intended to be mean but “a playful gesture.”
“One person took great offense,” she said referring to Wirth.
“This was not a friendly pinch that led to provocative behavior,” said Samuel Benedict, Wirth’s attorney in his opening argument. “This was a confrontation that did not have to happen.”
“Andrew Wirth had no choice to use a weapon to a direct threat against his life,” said Benedict, who said Wirth acted in self defense. Benedict indicated Wirth may testify as part of his defense.
- Park snowmobiles until trails are ready (0)
- Waukesha County Sheriff's lieutenant under investigation (0)
- AHS girls BB team moves to 3-0 (0)
- Kettle Moraine alumni basketball returns (0)
- Attwell announces for Delafield Mayor (0)
- Highway 83 accident witnesses sought (0)
- Food pantry items collected at holiday lights display in Mukwonago (0)
- DOT informational meeting held at Mukwonago Library (0)
- Donors needed for Waukesha blood drive (0)
- Sweet treats on sale at Mukwonago Food Pantry cookie fundraiser (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007