The Arrowhead boys cross country team won the state championship Saturday at The Ridges golf course in Wisconsin Rapids, topping Marquette by one point in the team scoring.
Using a top-five of exclusively juniors and sophomores, the Warhawks racked up a score of 82, while Marquette (83) finished in a close second place.
Russell Sandvold took fourth place among all individuals with a time of 16:04, and fellow junior Kyle Lewin ran 16:11 to take sixth. Will Conley (15th, 16:30), Ben Bierman (23rd, 16:41) and Jake Dubnicka (34th, 17:01) -- all sophomores -- rounded out the scoring. Seniors Yutaka Ogiso (52nd, 17:14) and Nick Linnan (137th, 18:51) also competed.
Dubnicka's finish was a huge part of the difference. He edged out Marquette fifth runner Charlie Coogan (35th, 17:02) by less than two tenths of a second. Had Coogan finished ahead, the 2-point swing would have given the trophy to Marquette.
- Bell Tower meeting postponed (0)
- Wienermobile visits Hartland this week (0)
- New Mukwonago elementary principal announced (0)
- Hartland village board talks quiet zones (0)
- Waste contract debate in Merton town (0)
- Police investigate emergency at corner of Wisconsin Ave. and Brown Street gas station (0)
- Mukwonago Food Pantry celebrates 25 years (0)
- Hartland village board to discuss 2015-2020 capitol improvements plan tonight (0)
- OHS grad passes away (0)
- Taste of Lake Country this weekend (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts