The Arrowhead boys cross country team won the state championship Saturday at The Ridges golf course in Wisconsin Rapids, topping Marquette by one point in the team scoring.
Using a top-five of exclusively juniors and sophomores, the Warhawks racked up a score of 82, while Marquette (83) finished in a close second place.
Russell Sandvold took fourth place among all individuals with a time of 16:04, and fellow junior Kyle Lewin ran 16:11 to take sixth. Will Conley (15th, 16:30), Ben Bierman (23rd, 16:41) and Jake Dubnicka (34th, 17:01) -- all sophomores -- rounded out the scoring. Seniors Yutaka Ogiso (52nd, 17:14) and Nick Linnan (137th, 18:51) also competed.
Dubnicka's finish was a huge part of the difference. He edged out Marquette fifth runner Charlie Coogan (35th, 17:02) by less than two tenths of a second. Had Coogan finished ahead, the 2-point swing would have given the trophy to Marquette.
- KM girls BB team stops Homestead (0)
- Pewaukee girls roll past North (0)
- LCL boys fall in sectional (0)
- Pewaukee boys win, move to sectional final (0)
- Judge issues clarification in Rural Home Cemetery order (0)
- I-94 East blocked at Hy. 83 (0)
- Man charged with fleeing two-car crash in Men. Falls (0)
- Men. Falls woman charged with fifth drunken driving offense (0)
- MASD and Mukwonago SAVE present on bullying (0)
- Many paths to success available to Mukwonago students (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts