The Arrowhead boys cross country team won the state championship Saturday at The Ridges golf course in Wisconsin Rapids, topping Marquette by one point in the team scoring.
Using a top-five of exclusively juniors and sophomores, the Warhawks racked up a score of 82, while Marquette (83) finished in a close second place.
Russell Sandvold took fourth place among all individuals with a time of 16:04, and fellow junior Kyle Lewin ran 16:11 to take sixth. Will Conley (15th, 16:30), Ben Bierman (23rd, 16:41) and Jake Dubnicka (34th, 17:01) -- all sophomores -- rounded out the scoring. Seniors Yutaka Ogiso (52nd, 17:14) and Nick Linnan (137th, 18:51) also competed.
Dubnicka's finish was a huge part of the difference. He edged out Marquette fifth runner Charlie Coogan (35th, 17:02) by less than two tenths of a second. Had Coogan finished ahead, the 2-point swing would have given the trophy to Marquette.
- Hirschfeld commits to Wisconsin (0)
- Mukwonago holds hazardous waste collection this Saturday (0)
- Siergiej resigns at Arrowhead (0)
- Donate at North Prairie blood drive (0)
- High winds, rain hit Lake Country (0)
- Law office will renovate building in downtown Mukwonago (0)
- Hy. 16 near Pewaukee closed (0)
- T-shirt sale helps support Special Olympics (0)
- Kettle Moraine High School nationally certified for PLTW (0)
- Oconomowoc couple charged with home break-in (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts