The Arrowhead boys cross country team won the state championship Saturday at The Ridges golf course in Wisconsin Rapids, topping Marquette by one point in the team scoring.
Using a top-five of exclusively juniors and sophomores, the Warhawks racked up a score of 82, while Marquette (83) finished in a close second place.
Russell Sandvold took fourth place among all individuals with a time of 16:04, and fellow junior Kyle Lewin ran 16:11 to take sixth. Will Conley (15th, 16:30), Ben Bierman (23rd, 16:41) and Jake Dubnicka (34th, 17:01) -- all sophomores -- rounded out the scoring. Seniors Yutaka Ogiso (52nd, 17:14) and Nick Linnan (137th, 18:51) also competed.
Dubnicka's finish was a huge part of the difference. He edged out Marquette fifth runner Charlie Coogan (35th, 17:02) by less than two tenths of a second. Had Coogan finished ahead, the 2-point swing would have given the trophy to Marquette.
- Friends of Vernon Marsh hold educational small prairie burn today (0)
- Easter activities for the whole family (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- Big Bend/Vernon Lions host egg hunt (0)
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts