The Arrowhead boys cross country team won the state championship Saturday at The Ridges golf course in Wisconsin Rapids, topping Marquette by one point in the team scoring.
Using a top-five of exclusively juniors and sophomores, the Warhawks racked up a score of 82, while Marquette (83) finished in a close second place.
Russell Sandvold took fourth place among all individuals with a time of 16:04, and fellow junior Kyle Lewin ran 16:11 to take sixth. Will Conley (15th, 16:30), Ben Bierman (23rd, 16:41) and Jake Dubnicka (34th, 17:01) -- all sophomores -- rounded out the scoring. Seniors Yutaka Ogiso (52nd, 17:14) and Nick Linnan (137th, 18:51) also competed.
Dubnicka's finish was a huge part of the difference. He edged out Marquette fifth runner Charlie Coogan (35th, 17:02) by less than two tenths of a second. Had Coogan finished ahead, the 2-point swing would have given the trophy to Marquette.
- New school planned for 2015-16 school year (0)
- Flying fun, festivals and more this weekend (0)
- AngelsGrace Hospice's 10th anniversary celebration (0)
- Closures expected on Highway 83 this weekend (0)
- Dock diving competition for dogs on Sunday, Aug. 24 (0)
- Storytime returns to OPL next month (0)
- Highway 16 interchange plans revised (0)
- Arrowhead annual meeting on Wednesday (0)
- Tree falls on power lines in Mukwonago (0)
- Phones and internet down at Lake Country/MyCommunityNow (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts