Two Mukwonago residents have filed a lawsuit against the state Department of Public Instruction that challenges the DPI's decision to order the Mukwonago School District to change its Indian nickname and logo.
Earlier this year, the DPI ordered the change after a hearing on a complaint from former student Rain Koepke, who maintained that the logo was discriminatory and promoted racism.
The lawsuit was filed Wednesday in Waukesha County Circuit Court by James Schoolcraft and Mukwonago Braves Football President Craig Vertz. It names the Mukwonago Area School District as an involuntary plaintiff, saying that the district may have an interest in the suit's outcome.
School Superintendent Paul Strobel said the School District is in no way behind the lawsuit and is not funding the lawsuit, which claims the state law allowing residents to file complaints about district logos is "vague and ambiguous."
The suit goes on to claim that the total costs associated with changing the nickname and logo could cost the taxpayers of the District up to $100,000. But according to both Strobel and Mukwonago High School Principal Shawn McNulty, the change will cost less than $50,000.
For more on this story, check out next Wednesday's Mukwonago Chief.
- Schimel denies Butler cop's allegations (0)
- Another teenager charged in connection to weapons found at high school (0)
- Area schools thrive in recent DPI report card (0)
- Presentation of Salem Witch Trials on Oct. 22 (0)
- Car thefts spark sheriff's warning to protect property near Norris Adolescent Center (0)
- Hawkfest tomorrow (0)
- Children's book release party at OPL (0)
- Drug drop off Sept. 27 (0)
- Mukwonago students skype with Shark Tank cast (0)
- Lisbon seeks temporary clerk (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007