Thanks to a stellar effort by its defense, the Waukesha West varsity footbll team rolled into the WIAA Division 1 state championship game Saturday afternoon by stopping powerful Kenosha Bradford in a semifinal game at Arrowhead, 30-15.
By winning, the Wolverines improved to 12-1 on the season and will play Stevens Point next Friday at 4 p.m. at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison for the coveted state champiionship.
West held Bradford to its season-low number of points. Prior to Saturday, the fewest points the Red Devils (11-2) had scored was 28 last Saturday in a Level 3 playoff game.
Nick Tehan scored on an 87-yard fumble recovery to start the game for West and midway through the second period Matt Losiniecki of the Wolverines recovered a fumble that led to a 4-yard touchdown pass from Brandon Berghoefer to tight end Dylan Chmura.
West broke the game open in the fourth quarter when junior running back Joe Schobert scored on a 95-yard touchdown run with 8:12 remaining in the game. That score made it 30-15.
Bradford was held without a second half touchdown for the first time this season .
- Taste of Lake Country this weekend (0)
- Gateway apartment development begins construction in Oconomowoc (0)
- Oconomowoc man accused of fifth OWI (0)
- Local talent in full bloom this summer (0)
- Business park proposed in Lisbon (0)
- Lisbon approves one convenience center, delays another (0)
- Meeting to discuss possible extension to Springdale Road (0)
- Traffic backup on I-94 eastbound near Sawyer Road (0)
- Eagle firefighter dies in fatal Town of Mukwonago accident (0)
- Hartland plan commission approves preliminary plans for new subdivision (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts