Thanks to a stellar effort by its defense, the Waukesha West varsity footbll team rolled into the WIAA Division 1 state championship game Saturday afternoon by stopping powerful Kenosha Bradford in a semifinal game at Arrowhead, 30-15.
By winning, the Wolverines improved to 12-1 on the season and will play Stevens Point next Friday at 4 p.m. at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison for the coveted state champiionship.
West held Bradford to its season-low number of points. Prior to Saturday, the fewest points the Red Devils (11-2) had scored was 28 last Saturday in a Level 3 playoff game.
Nick Tehan scored on an 87-yard fumble recovery to start the game for West and midway through the second period Matt Losiniecki of the Wolverines recovered a fumble that led to a 4-yard touchdown pass from Brandon Berghoefer to tight end Dylan Chmura.
West broke the game open in the fourth quarter when junior running back Joe Schobert scored on a 95-yard touchdown run with 8:12 remaining in the game. That score made it 30-15.
Bradford was held without a second half touchdown for the first time this season .
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Coffee with a Cop in Mukwonago Thursday (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- AHS softball teams whips KM (0)
- Tee time (0)
- Big Bend FD to hold pancake breakfast Sunday (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts