Pewaukee linebacker and running back Derek Watt, named earlier Monday to the WIsconsin Football Coaches Association All-State team on defense, has switched his college commitment to play football from Northwestern to Wisconsin.
Watt, the younger brother of current Badgers standout J.J. Watt, had initially verbally agreed to play for the Wildcats in July. Wisconsin had also scouted the younger Watt, who led Pewaukee to a 7-3 record this fall, and had offered a greyshirt, meaning a delayed scholarship opportunity kicking in after the 2011 fall semester.
J.J. offered his brother a congratulatory update on Twitter late Monday, essentially breaking the news. Kyle Heikkinen of Badger247 added confirmation of the switch on Twitter and said the opportunity remained a greyshirt situation for now.
Derek Watt joins another Lake Country linebacker, Derek Landisch of Arrowhead, as UW recruits from the 2011 class.
- OHS grad passes away (0)
- Taste of Lake Country this weekend (0)
- Gateway apartment development begins construction in Oconomowoc (0)
- Oconomowoc man accused of fifth OWI (0)
- Local talent in full bloom this summer (0)
- Business park proposed in Lisbon (0)
- Lisbon approves one convenience center, delays another (0)
- Meeting to discuss possible extension to Springdale Road (0)
- Traffic backup on I-94 eastbound near Sawyer Road (0)
- Eagle firefighter dies in fatal Town of Mukwonago accident (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts