Pewaukee linebacker and running back Derek Watt, named earlier Monday to the WIsconsin Football Coaches Association All-State team on defense, has switched his college commitment to play football from Northwestern to Wisconsin.
Watt, the younger brother of current Badgers standout J.J. Watt, had initially verbally agreed to play for the Wildcats in July. Wisconsin had also scouted the younger Watt, who led Pewaukee to a 7-3 record this fall, and had offered a greyshirt, meaning a delayed scholarship opportunity kicking in after the 2011 fall semester.
J.J. offered his brother a congratulatory update on Twitter late Monday, essentially breaking the news. Kyle Heikkinen of Badger247 added confirmation of the switch on Twitter and said the opportunity remained a greyshirt situation for now.
Derek Watt joins another Lake Country linebacker, Derek Landisch of Arrowhead, as UW recruits from the 2011 class.
- Hartland plan commission approves preliminary plans for new subdivision (0)
- Rep. David Craig recognized for support of Wisconsin industry (0)
- County briefs Delafield on waste contracts (0)
- Drivers Ed class to begin Aug. 4 at Hamilton High School (0)
- Body pulled from private pond (0)
- Swallow School hosts presentation and tour on Tuesday (0)
- Taste of Lake Country back for 11th year (0)
- Dodge County Sheriff Dept. nabs two on suspicion of felony drunken driving (0)
- Lisbon asks court to control Sussex library spending (0)
- Town of Mukwonago police pushing for more protection in elementary schools (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts