Pewaukee linebacker and running back Derek Watt, named earlier Monday to the WIsconsin Football Coaches Association All-State team on defense, has switched his college commitment to play football from Northwestern to Wisconsin.
Watt, the younger brother of current Badgers standout J.J. Watt, had initially verbally agreed to play for the Wildcats in July. Wisconsin had also scouted the younger Watt, who led Pewaukee to a 7-3 record this fall, and had offered a greyshirt, meaning a delayed scholarship opportunity kicking in after the 2011 fall semester.
J.J. offered his brother a congratulatory update on Twitter late Monday, essentially breaking the news. Kyle Heikkinen of Badger247 added confirmation of the switch on Twitter and said the opportunity remained a greyshirt situation for now.
Derek Watt joins another Lake Country linebacker, Derek Landisch of Arrowhead, as UW recruits from the 2011 class.
- YMCA Healthy Kids Day Saturday (0)
- Sunset Drive accident kills 2 (0)
- Sunset Drive closed in Genesee (0)
- Judge approves sale of local American TV store (0)
- Waukesha County prepares for national drug disposal day (0)
- Woman charged with stealing handgun from Oconomowoc house (0)
- Zoning for Delafield development approved (0)
- Highway 67 drivers, take note (0)
- Waukesha County prescription drug collection set for April 26 (0)
- Nass set to run for re-election in 33rd assembly district (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts