Pewaukee linebacker and running back Derek Watt, named earlier Monday to the WIsconsin Football Coaches Association All-State team on defense, has switched his college commitment to play football from Northwestern to Wisconsin.
Watt, the younger brother of current Badgers standout J.J. Watt, had initially verbally agreed to play for the Wildcats in July. Wisconsin had also scouted the younger Watt, who led Pewaukee to a 7-3 record this fall, and had offered a greyshirt, meaning a delayed scholarship opportunity kicking in after the 2011 fall semester.
J.J. offered his brother a congratulatory update on Twitter late Monday, essentially breaking the news. Kyle Heikkinen of Badger247 added confirmation of the switch on Twitter and said the opportunity remained a greyshirt situation for now.
Derek Watt joins another Lake Country linebacker, Derek Landisch of Arrowhead, as UW recruits from the 2011 class.
- It's a beautiful day for a Farmer's Market (0)
- Stay informed, recycle more in Waukesha County (0)
- Islamic Society speaker presents at Mukwonago church tonight (0)
- Anti-Walmart protesters pack Oconomowoc City Council meeting (0)
- Kettle Moraine moves to 12-0 (0)
- Dousman teen charged with hit-and-run after underage drinking party (0)
- Early meeting, full agenda for Village of Mukwonago (0)
- Last stand for Indian mascot in Mukwonago (3)
- Waukesha man arrested in Chicago “high drug area,” charged with Vernon home burglary (0)
- Todarello commits to Arkansas (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts