Waukesha – A judge this morning denied a temporary injunction sought by two Mukwonago School District residents to prevent the changing of the school’s Indian logo.
Waukesha County Circuit Court Judge Donald Hassin said the plaintiffs, Craig Vertz and James Schoolcraft, did not show that there is a likelihood the state law was unconstitutional and that they have suffered irreparable harm because of the state’s mandate to change the logo.
Attorney Samuel C. Hall, representing Vertz and Schoolcraft, argued that when the state mandated this summer that the district change the logo because it stereotyped Native Americans, residents were denied due process; the school district has spent $17,000 to comply with the order, and that the cost ultimately will be passed onto the taxpayers thus causing the taxpayers irreparable harm; and the process to force the change is unconstitutional. Hall argued there are no rules to the process.
Attorney Clayton Kawski, representing the state Department of Public Instruction, argued the residents did have due process through its elected officials on the School Board, there are rules to the process and they were followed, and showing the law is unconstitutional requires a high burden of proof.
Hassin said any law adopted by the Legislature has a "strong presumption it is constitutional," and the plaintiffs did not show a "likelihood of success" in proving it is unconstitutional, he said.
The process to change the logo was followed, and there is "no evidence the plaintiffs have been harmed, even slightly, Hassin said.
Hassin ordered a full injunction hearing to be held Feb. 2. Such a hearing means witnesses can be called, as well as further arguments by both sides.
- Christmas in Eagle Friday night (0)
- Update on armed robbery in Sussex (0)
- Armed robbery at Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Police surround Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Big Bend to host first holiday event Friday (0)
- Water clean-up close Lake Country Lutheran for the day (0)
- Mukwonago woman sentenced for $250k theft from Brookfield business (0)
- Sheriff's Department releases sketch of Town of Eagle suspect (0)
- Park snowmobiles until trails are ready (0)
- Waukesha County Sheriff's lieutenant under investigation (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007