Waukesha – There will be one trial in the murder-for-hire case that resulted in the brutal death of Kimberly Smith in her City of Oconomowoc home Oct. 1, 2009.
Waukesha County Circuit Court Judge James R. Kieffer ruled this morning that Darren Wold, 42, Jack E. Johnson, 66, and Justin P. Welch, 27, will be tried at the same time.
Kieffer ruled in favor of a prosecutor’s motion to join the cases for one trial and denied defense attorneys’ motions to sever the cases.
According to prosecutors, Wold, formerly of Waukesha, allegedly sent money to Johnson of Mexico, who in turn allegedly hired Welch, 27, of California, to kill Smith. All three men are charged with first-degree homicide. Gloves and a knife from Smith’s kitchen were found in a storm sewer near her Smith’s house. DNA and fingerprints linked Welch to the murder.
Wold is the former boyfriend of Smith and the father of her child. Wold is accused of sending money to Johnson who in turn bought plan tickets for Welch and sent him cash as well.
The trial is not expected to be held until summer or fall and may take up to five weeks.
- Update on armed robbery in Sussex (0)
- Armed robbery at Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Police surround Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Big Bend to host first holiday event Friday (0)
- Water clean-up close Lake Country Lutheran for the day (0)
- Mukwonago woman sentenced for $250k theft from Brookfield business (0)
- Sheriff's Department releases sketch of Town of Eagle suspect (0)
- Park snowmobiles until trails are ready (0)
- Waukesha County Sheriff's lieutenant under investigation (0)
- AHS girls BB team moves to 3-0 (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007