As the mercury inches ever higher during the heatwave, Lake Country residents will have one less place to cool off. Pewaukee was forced to close the public beach on Pewaukee Lake due to high E. coli counts today.
Officials decided to close the popular beach in Downtown Pewaukee after a water sample yielded an E. coli count of 1553 units per 100 mL of water.
Any count over 1000 units is deemed unsafe for swimming. According to the City of Pewaukee's website, the water will be tested daily until counts reach a safe level and can be reopened.
Red signs at the beach will mark the beach closure.
E. coli and other microorganisms in the water can cause flu-like symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache or fever. Other germs can cause ear and eye infections as well as skin rashes.
- Waterford man struck, killed on Highway 83 (0)
- Palmyra-Eagle district to hold State of the District meetings (0)
- Family Reading Summit planned at OPL (0)
- Hometown harmonicist brings swing to OAC (0)
- KM girls BB team stops Homestead (0)
- Pewaukee girls roll past North (0)
- LCL boys fall in sectional (0)
- Pewaukee boys win, move to sectional final (0)
- Judge issues clarification in Rural Home Cemetery order (0)
- I-94 East blocked at Hy. 83 (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts