As the mercury inches ever higher during the heatwave, Lake Country residents will have one less place to cool off. Pewaukee was forced to close the public beach on Pewaukee Lake due to high E. coli counts today.
Officials decided to close the popular beach in Downtown Pewaukee after a water sample yielded an E. coli count of 1553 units per 100 mL of water.
Any count over 1000 units is deemed unsafe for swimming. According to the City of Pewaukee's website, the water will be tested daily until counts reach a safe level and can be reopened.
Red signs at the beach will mark the beach closure.
E. coli and other microorganisms in the water can cause flu-like symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache or fever. Other germs can cause ear and eye infections as well as skin rashes.
- Prairie View holds Cookies for Kids’ Cancer bake sale (0)
- OHS girls softball team wins league title (0)
- Blue Sox only undefeated LOL West team (0)
- Hirschfeld commits to Wisconsin (0)
- Mukwonago holds hazardous waste collection this Saturday (0)
- Siergiej resigns at Arrowhead (0)
- Donate at North Prairie blood drive (0)
- High winds, rain hit Lake Country (0)
- Law office will renovate building in downtown Mukwonago (0)
- Hy. 16 near Pewaukee closed (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts