As the mercury inches ever higher during the heatwave, Lake Country residents will have one less place to cool off. Pewaukee was forced to close the public beach on Pewaukee Lake due to high E. coli counts today.
Officials decided to close the popular beach in Downtown Pewaukee after a water sample yielded an E. coli count of 1553 units per 100 mL of water.
Any count over 1000 units is deemed unsafe for swimming. According to the City of Pewaukee's website, the water will be tested daily until counts reach a safe level and can be reopened.
Red signs at the beach will mark the beach closure.
E. coli and other microorganisms in the water can cause flu-like symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache or fever. Other germs can cause ear and eye infections as well as skin rashes.
- OHS grad passes away (0)
- Taste of Lake Country this weekend (0)
- Gateway apartment development begins construction in Oconomowoc (0)
- Oconomowoc man accused of fifth OWI (0)
- Local talent in full bloom this summer (0)
- Business park proposed in Lisbon (0)
- Lisbon approves one convenience center, delays another (0)
- Meeting to discuss possible extension to Springdale Road (0)
- Traffic backup on I-94 eastbound near Sawyer Road (0)
- Eagle firefighter dies in fatal Town of Mukwonago accident (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts