Jacob DeGrave homered and recorded the final four outs of a 4-3 thriller as sixth-seeded Mukwonago advanced past third-seeded Whitnall in the WIAA baseball playoffs Tuesday afternoon.
Jake Tuttle was dominant for the Indians, taking a no-hitter into the sixth and enjoying a 4-0 lead with one down in that frame. But Whitnall's Geoff Wisialowski's single snapped the Falcons out of the spell, and RBI singles by Luke Mentkowski and Danny Weymier not only made it 4-3, but put the tying run at third base.
DeGrave, who gave up the second of those RBI singles, stranded the runner there, then struck out the dangerous Wisialowski with the tying run on first in the seventh to end the game.
DeGrave's opposite-field shot in the second put the Indians on the board, and MHS rallied for three runs in the fifth against Whitnall starter Josh Serio. Each of the first three batters of the inning reached and scored, with an RBI single by Jake Druecke and a two-run single by Jason Strickler.
The Indians advanced to face either Muskego or Waukesha North in the Waukesha West sectional Friday, with first pitch at 3 p.m.
- New school planned for 2015-16 school year (0)
- Flying fun, festivals and more this weekend (0)
- AngelsGrace Hospice's 10th anniversary celebration (0)
- Closures expected on Highway 83 this weekend (0)
- Dock diving competition for dogs on Sunday, Aug. 24 (0)
- Storytime returns to OPL next month (0)
- Highway 16 interchange plans revised (0)
- Arrowhead annual meeting on Wednesday (0)
- Tree falls on power lines in Mukwonago (0)
- Phones and internet down at Lake Country/MyCommunityNow (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts