Jacob DeGrave homered and recorded the final four outs of a 4-3 thriller as sixth-seeded Mukwonago advanced past third-seeded Whitnall in the WIAA baseball playoffs Tuesday afternoon.
Jake Tuttle was dominant for the Indians, taking a no-hitter into the sixth and enjoying a 4-0 lead with one down in that frame. But Whitnall's Geoff Wisialowski's single snapped the Falcons out of the spell, and RBI singles by Luke Mentkowski and Danny Weymier not only made it 4-3, but put the tying run at third base.
DeGrave, who gave up the second of those RBI singles, stranded the runner there, then struck out the dangerous Wisialowski with the tying run on first in the seventh to end the game.
DeGrave's opposite-field shot in the second put the Indians on the board, and MHS rallied for three runs in the fifth against Whitnall starter Josh Serio. Each of the first three batters of the inning reached and scored, with an RBI single by Jake Druecke and a two-run single by Jason Strickler.
The Indians advanced to face either Muskego or Waukesha North in the Waukesha West sectional Friday, with first pitch at 3 p.m.
- KM girls BB team stops Homestead (0)
- Pewaukee girls roll past North (0)
- LCL boys fall in sectional (0)
- Pewaukee boys win, move to sectional final (0)
- Judge issues clarification in Rural Home Cemetery order (0)
- I-94 East blocked at Hy. 83 (0)
- Man charged with fleeing two-car crash in Men. Falls (0)
- Men. Falls woman charged with fifth drunken driving offense (0)
- MASD and Mukwonago SAVE present on bullying (0)
- Many paths to success available to Mukwonago students (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts