Arrowhead's varsity girls swim team came up two points short of winning its fourth straight WIAA Division 1 state championship Saturday.
The three-time defending state champion Warhawks won five events and scored 291 points but lost to Classic 8 Conference rival Waukesha South/Mukwonago, who had 293 points.
Going into Saturday's meet at the UW Natatorium, Arrowhead had won eight of the last nine state crowns.
The meet came down to the final race of the the day, the 400-yard freestyle relay. South/Mukwonago won that race with a time of 3:28.61 to earn 40 points. Muskego took second at 3:29.67 (34 points) and the Warhawks swam third (32 points) at 3:30.27. Had AHS finished second, the two teams would have tied for the state championship.
Haley Pietila of the Warhawks won the 200 individual medley and the 100 freestyle and Mary Warren took first in the 50 freestyle.
Arrowhead also won the 200 freestyle relay with Maddie Barta, Pietila, Katie Duranso and Warren and also won the 200 medley relay with the group of Kate Jones, Lindsay Adamski, Miranda Helbig and Warren.
- Christmas in Eagle Friday night (0)
- Update on armed robbery in Sussex (0)
- Armed robbery at Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Police surround Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Big Bend to host first holiday event Friday (0)
- Water clean-up close Lake Country Lutheran for the day (0)
- Mukwonago woman sentenced for $250k theft from Brookfield business (0)
- Sheriff's Department releases sketch of Town of Eagle suspect (0)
- Park snowmobiles until trails are ready (0)
- Waukesha County Sheriff's lieutenant under investigation (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007