Arrowhead's varsity girls swim team came up two points short of winning its fourth straight WIAA Division 1 state championship Saturday.
The three-time defending state champion Warhawks won five events and scored 291 points but lost to Classic 8 Conference rival Waukesha South/Mukwonago, who had 293 points.
Going into Saturday's meet at the UW Natatorium, Arrowhead had won eight of the last nine state crowns.
The meet came down to the final race of the the day, the 400-yard freestyle relay. South/Mukwonago won that race with a time of 3:28.61 to earn 40 points. Muskego took second at 3:29.67 (34 points) and the Warhawks swam third (32 points) at 3:30.27. Had AHS finished second, the two teams would have tied for the state championship.
Haley Pietila of the Warhawks won the 200 individual medley and the 100 freestyle and Mary Warren took first in the 50 freestyle.
Arrowhead also won the 200 freestyle relay with Maddie Barta, Pietila, Katie Duranso and Warren and also won the 200 medley relay with the group of Kate Jones, Lindsay Adamski, Miranda Helbig and Warren.
- Meeting to discus possible extension to Springdale Road (0)
- Traffic backup on I-94 eastbound near Sawyer Road (0)
- Eagle firefighter dies in fatal Town of Mukwonago accident (0)
- East Troy Community Band hosts Swing Nouveau (0)
- Hartland plan commission approves preliminary plans for new subdivision (0)
- Rep. David Craig recognized for support of Wisconsin industry (0)
- County briefs Delafield on waste contracts (0)
- Drivers Ed class to begin Aug. 4 at Hamilton High School (0)
- Body pulled from private pond (0)
- Swallow School hosts presentation and tour on Tuesday (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts