Arrowhead's varsity girls swim team came up two points short of winning its fourth straight WIAA Division 1 state championship Saturday.
The three-time defending state champion Warhawks won five events and scored 291 points but lost to Classic 8 Conference rival Waukesha South/Mukwonago, who had 293 points.
Going into Saturday's meet at the UW Natatorium, Arrowhead had won eight of the last nine state crowns.
The meet came down to the final race of the the day, the 400-yard freestyle relay. South/Mukwonago won that race with a time of 3:28.61 to earn 40 points. Muskego took second at 3:29.67 (34 points) and the Warhawks swam third (32 points) at 3:30.27. Had AHS finished second, the two teams would have tied for the state championship.
Haley Pietila of the Warhawks won the 200 individual medley and the 100 freestyle and Mary Warren took first in the 50 freestyle.
Arrowhead also won the 200 freestyle relay with Maddie Barta, Pietila, Katie Duranso and Warren and also won the 200 medley relay with the group of Kate Jones, Lindsay Adamski, Miranda Helbig and Warren.
- Bell Tower meeting postponed (0)
- Wienermobile visits Hartland this week (0)
- New Mukwonago elementary principal announced (0)
- Hartland village board talks quiet zones (0)
- Waste contract debate in Merton town (0)
- Police investigate emergency at corner of Wisconsin Ave. and Brown Street gas station (0)
- Mukwonago Food Pantry celebrates 25 years (0)
- Hartland village board to discuss 2015-2020 capitol improvements plan tonight (0)
- OHS grad passes away (0)
- Taste of Lake Country this weekend (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts