Village of Sussex - Sussex has been named "The Best Place in Wisconsin to Raise Your Kids" in 2012 by Bloomberg Businessweek.com.
The Bloomberg website reviewed 4,169 communities with a population between 1,000 and 50,000, a crime index less than 10 percent above the national average, and median family incomes within 20 percent of the state median in which the community was located.
Excellent schools, combined with affordable costs of living, low crime rates, and plentiful amenities were the factors considered in choosing the best place to raise kids in each of the 50 states. An emphasis was placed on school performances, expenditures, and family incomes, according to the website.
According to Bloomberg, the average math score in the Hamilton School District is more than 14 points above the state average and the average reading score is ten points above the state average.
The median income in the village is $77,114.
"A rural suburb of Milwaukee, the Village of Sussex benefits from the proximity to the larger city without losing its close sense of community. The town supports events that are fun for kids such as Christmas Tree lighting, Christmas caroling and the hunt for a liminated picture of a turkey (the winner gets a gift basket," according to the website Bloomgberg Businessweek.com.
In 2010, the village was ranked third by Milwaukee Magazine among the 50 most preferable Milwaukee suburbs.
Blacksburg, Virgina, an upscale college town near Roanoke with a population of about 40,000 and the home of Virginia Tech University, was named "The Best Place to Raise Your Kids in the U.S."
- Closures expected on Highway 83 this weekend (0)
- Dock diving competition for dogs on Sunday, Aug. 24 (0)
- Storytime returns to OPL next month (0)
- Highway 16 interchange plans revised (0)
- Arrowhead annual meeting on Wednesday (0)
- Tree falls on power lines in Mukwonago (0)
- Phones and internet down at Lake Country/MyCommunityNow (0)
- Oconomowoc woman accused of selling, using heroin (0)
- Pewaukee School District approves tax levy (0)
- Chenequa approves November levy referendum (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts