Town of Oconomowoc – A 61-year-old Town of Oconomowoc man who was accidentally shot by a member of his deer hunting party yesterday suffered only a minor wound.
Curtis Weide was hunting in the area of Pennsylvania Street and Highway CW late Monday morning and during a deer drive with about five other hunters Weide was hit by a 12 gauge slug shot by another member of the hunting party.
Kyle Drake of the state Department of Natural Resources said as the men moved through a marsh area a couple of deer were stirred and one of the hunters shot at a running deer. The slug apparently ricocheted off something and hit Weide in the left chest area. Drake said he believes the slug ricocheted off something because it only penetrated the hunter’s skin by about a half inch.
"He pulled the slug out himself," Drake said.
Weide was treated and released from a hospital and returned to the accident scene before authorities had left.
"The good news is the guy is OK," said Drake.
- Friends of Vernon Marsh hold educational small prairie burn today (0)
- Easter activities for the whole family (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- Big Bend/Vernon Lions host egg hunt (0)
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts