New Berlin West's girls basketball team led most of the night, but Pewaukee senior Jordyn Swan hit two free throws with 13.9 seconds left, lifting the Pirates to a 44-42 victory in the Woodland Conference opener Friday night.
West kept the Pirates off balance most of the game, taking a lead as large as eight points in the first half and seven in the second half. Emily Wirth hit a 3-pointer with 2:14 left to give PHS a 36-35 lead -- their first of the game -- but West's Stephanie Turner answered with a jumper to give West the lead back. Turner finished with 16 points.
Brittany Groer's old-fashioned 3-point play gave PHS the lead back with 1:36 to play, 39-37, and Wirth hit three free throws in four attempts to make it 42-39 with 35.2 seconds to play. West re-tied the game on an Anne Kaczynski triple with 24 seconds left, but Pewaukee pushed the ball down the court after the ensuing timeout, and Swan drew contact with her look from the block.
A last-ditch 3-pointer by West fell short. Both teams emerged from the contest with 1-1 records.
- KM girls BB team stops Homestead (0)
- Pewaukee girls roll past North (0)
- LCL boys fall in sectional (0)
- Pewaukee boys win, move to sectional final (0)
- Judge issues clarification in Rural Home Cemetery order (0)
- I-94 East blocked at Hy. 83 (0)
- Man charged with fleeing two-car crash in Men. Falls (0)
- Men. Falls woman charged with fifth drunken driving offense (0)
- MASD and Mukwonago SAVE present on bullying (0)
- Many paths to success available to Mukwonago students (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts