April A. Smart, 66, has been identified as the victim of a fatal house fire in the Town of Mukwonago around 12:30 a.m. yesterday morning, according to Town of Mukwonago Police. The fire occurred on Road X.
The Waukesha County Medical Examiner's Office conducted an autopsy and determined Smart died from soot and smoke inhalation.
Smart's daughter, Dina L. Puerner, 42, was taken to Waukesha Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation. She is reportedly still in the hospital, and her condition is unknown.
Police report that the Village of Mukwonago Police Department received a 911 call from the residence altering them to the fire, and that the caller complained of having difficulty breathing. Upon arrival, the first officer found the house engulfed in flames and Puerner in the driveway.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation by the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department and state fire marshal, but does not appear to be suspicious at this time.
It appears there were no working smoke detectors in the home.
- Hirschfeld commits to Wisconsin (0)
- Mukwonago holds hazardous waste collection this Saturday (0)
- Siergiej resigns at Arrowhead (0)
- Donate at North Prairie blood drive (0)
- High winds, rain hit Lake Country (0)
- Law office will renovate building in downtown Mukwonago (0)
- Hy. 16 near Pewaukee closed (0)
- T-shirt sale helps support Special Olympics (0)
- Kettle Moraine High School nationally certified for PLTW (0)
- Oconomowoc couple charged with home break-in (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts