April A. Smart, 66, has been identified as the victim of a fatal house fire in the Town of Mukwonago around 12:30 a.m. yesterday morning, according to Town of Mukwonago Police. The fire occurred on Road X.
The Waukesha County Medical Examiner's Office conducted an autopsy and determined Smart died from soot and smoke inhalation.
Smart's daughter, Dina L. Puerner, 42, was taken to Waukesha Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation. She is reportedly still in the hospital, and her condition is unknown.
Police report that the Village of Mukwonago Police Department received a 911 call from the residence altering them to the fire, and that the caller complained of having difficulty breathing. Upon arrival, the first officer found the house engulfed in flames and Puerner in the driveway.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation by the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department and state fire marshal, but does not appear to be suspicious at this time.
It appears there were no working smoke detectors in the home.
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Rock thrown through Mukwonago Food Pantry window overnight (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- Give a pint, get a pint at Mukwonago community blood drive (0)
- Cushing will receive MOH (0)
- Fourth charter school set to open in Kettle Moraine School District (0)
- Last free concert for the season Aug. 29 (0)
- Hartland Village Board approves preliminary plat for Sanctuary subdivision (0)
- Former Mukwonago star athlete Dominic Cizauskas sentenced to 12 months in jail for third-degree sexual assault (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts