April A. Smart, 66, has been identified as the victim of a fatal house fire in the Town of Mukwonago around 12:30 a.m. yesterday morning, according to Town of Mukwonago Police. The fire occurred on Road X.
The Waukesha County Medical Examiner's Office conducted an autopsy and determined Smart died from soot and smoke inhalation.
Smart's daughter, Dina L. Puerner, 42, was taken to Waukesha Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation. She is reportedly still in the hospital, and her condition is unknown.
Police report that the Village of Mukwonago Police Department received a 911 call from the residence altering them to the fire, and that the caller complained of having difficulty breathing. Upon arrival, the first officer found the house engulfed in flames and Puerner in the driveway.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation by the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department and state fire marshal, but does not appear to be suspicious at this time.
It appears there were no working smoke detectors in the home.
- Update on armed robbery in Sussex (0)
- Armed robbery at Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Police surround Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Big Bend to host first holiday event Friday (0)
- Water clean-up close Lake Country Lutheran for the day (0)
- Mukwonago woman sentenced for $250k theft from Brookfield business (0)
- Sheriff's Department releases sketch of Town of Eagle suspect (0)
- Park snowmobiles until trails are ready (0)
- Waukesha County Sheriff's lieutenant under investigation (0)
- AHS girls BB team moves to 3-0 (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007