Lena Jenison, a 2007 graduate of Arrowhead High School serving in the Peace Corps, died of injuries sustained in an auto accident on Dec. 20 in Mozambique. Fellow Peace Corps volunteer Elizabeth Alden Landis, 23, from Yarrow Point, Wash., also perished in the accident.
The Peace Corps confirmed their deaths in a statement released Wednesday afternoon.
Jenison, 22, of Hartland, graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in May. In September, she traveled to Mozambique to begin her preservice training for the Peace Corps. She was officially sworn in as a Peace Corps volunteer Dec. 8, and she was slated to remain in Mozambique until December 2013.
Jenison served as an education volunteer at a local high school near Chibuto, Mozambique, where she was assigned to teach biology. Chibuto lies in the south-central region of the country.
According to the statement, she lived with a host family and enjoyed learning the customs of her new community.
"Alden and Lena were both committed and dedicated Peace Corps volunteers who were excited to teach in their new Peace Corps communities," said Peace Corps Director Aaron S. Williams. "This is a tragic loss for the entire Peace Corps community, including their fellow volunteers in Mozambique. Our thoughts are with both of their families during this difficult time."
Jenison and Alden were two of 155 Peace Corps volunteers currently serving in the African nation. Most volunteers work in fields related to education and health.
While at UW-Madison, Jenison majored in biology and Spanish. She is survived by her parents and a brother and sister in Hartland.
Alden was a 2010 graduate of Boston University, where she majored in biochemistry-molecular biology and minored in French. She is survived by her parents and two sisters in Washington.
Further details regarding the circumstances surrounding the accident were not available as of press time.
- ACT scores up for area schools (0)
- Hensler's granddaughter dies in tragic beach accident (0)
- Hensler Field dedication highlights Mukwonago football game (0)
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007