In a battle of two of the top-rated girls basketball teams in the state, the Middleton Cardinals defeated Arrowhead Tuesday afternoon in a first-round game in the fourth annual Christine Rathke Memorial Tournament in Franklin, 35-32.
Middleton, ranked fifth in this week's Division 1 Associated Press poll, outscored the eighth-ranked Warhawks 6-3 in the final 5:22 to win. Middleton improved to 4-1 on the season and AHS fell to 4-2. Both of Arrowhead's losses have been to teams ranked in the top five in the state.
Senior Jenny Smith fired in 17 points to lead the Warhawks. Senior guard Amanda Bauer was next with 5 points.
AHS had six turnovers in the fourth quarter, including three lob passes intended for Smith in the lane that were all intercepted in the final 2:30.
- Waterford man struck, killed on Highway 83 (0)
- Palmyra-Eagle district to hold State of the District meetings (0)
- Family Reading Summit planned at OPL (0)
- Hometown harmonicist brings swing to OAC (0)
- KM girls BB team stops Homestead (0)
- Pewaukee girls roll past North (0)
- LCL boys fall in sectional (0)
- Pewaukee boys win, move to sectional final (0)
- Judge issues clarification in Rural Home Cemetery order (0)
- I-94 East blocked at Hy. 83 (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts