In a battle of two of the top-rated girls basketball teams in the state, the Middleton Cardinals defeated Arrowhead Tuesday afternoon in a first-round game in the fourth annual Christine Rathke Memorial Tournament in Franklin, 35-32.
Middleton, ranked fifth in this week's Division 1 Associated Press poll, outscored the eighth-ranked Warhawks 6-3 in the final 5:22 to win. Middleton improved to 4-1 on the season and AHS fell to 4-2. Both of Arrowhead's losses have been to teams ranked in the top five in the state.
Senior Jenny Smith fired in 17 points to lead the Warhawks. Senior guard Amanda Bauer was next with 5 points.
AHS had six turnovers in the fourth quarter, including three lob passes intended for Smith in the lane that were all intercepted in the final 2:30.
- Meeting to discuss possible extension to Springdale Road (0)
- Traffic backup on I-94 eastbound near Sawyer Road (0)
- Eagle firefighter dies in fatal Town of Mukwonago accident (0)
- East Troy Community Band hosts Swing Nouveau (0)
- Hartland plan commission approves preliminary plans for new subdivision (0)
- Rep. David Craig recognized for support of Wisconsin industry (0)
- County briefs Delafield on waste contracts (0)
- Drivers Ed class to begin Aug. 4 at Hamilton High School (0)
- Body pulled from private pond (0)
- Swallow School hosts presentation and tour on Tuesday (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts