In a battle of two of the top-rated girls basketball teams in the state, the Middleton Cardinals defeated Arrowhead Tuesday afternoon in a first-round game in the fourth annual Christine Rathke Memorial Tournament in Franklin, 35-32.
Middleton, ranked fifth in this week's Division 1 Associated Press poll, outscored the eighth-ranked Warhawks 6-3 in the final 5:22 to win. Middleton improved to 4-1 on the season and AHS fell to 4-2. Both of Arrowhead's losses have been to teams ranked in the top five in the state.
Senior Jenny Smith fired in 17 points to lead the Warhawks. Senior guard Amanda Bauer was next with 5 points.
AHS had six turnovers in the fourth quarter, including three lob passes intended for Smith in the lane that were all intercepted in the final 2:30.
- Friends of Vernon Marsh hold educational small prairie burn today (0)
- Easter activities for the whole family (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- Big Bend/Vernon Lions host egg hunt (0)
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts