Waukesha – A hearing on dismissing a burglary charge against one of the two teens suspected of stealing an owl from the Wildlife In Need Center in November was postponed to Jan. 13.
Matthew R. Kuhlemeyer, 18, of N2809 Road Z, and Dilan S. White, 17, of 592 N. Buth Road, both of Dousman, were charged burglary and criminal damage to property for stealing an owl named Dakota Nov. 12.
Attorney Dan Fay, who represents Kuhlemeyer, filed a motion arguing the burglary charge should be dismissed as the bird was taken from a cage and not a structure. In the motion, Fay said state statutes define a burglary as when a person enters a building or dwelling without the consent of the owner and with the intent to steal or commit a felony. Fay argued Dakota was in an outdoor cage.
Prosecutors filed a response Dec. 21 to Fay’s motion stating the outdoor cage is a structure under the definition of case law.
At a hearing this morning Fay said he had just received the state’s motion Tuesday and had not had time to prepare a response. Fay’s motion will be heard Jan. 13.
In addition, White appeared in court and entered a not guilty plea. White’s attorney, Paul Bucher, said he would not be joining in Fay’s motion. White’s next court date will be Feb. 13.
- AHS girls BB team moves to 3-0 (0)
- Kettle Moraine alumni basketball returns (0)
- Attwell announces for Delafield Mayor (0)
- Highway 83 accident witnesses sought (0)
- Food pantry items collected at holiday lights display in Mukwonago (0)
- DOT informational meeting held at Mukwonago Library (0)
- Donors needed for Waukesha blood drive (0)
- Sweet treats on sale at Mukwonago Food Pantry cookie fundraiser (0)
- Festival of Trees on display at Garden Mart (0)
- Kids' holiday gift workshop (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007