The northbound lane of Highway 83 near Highway I in Mukwonago is still closed after a semi rolled onto its side on a bed of drainage rock at Highway 83 and I early this morning.
The semi was traveling north on Highway 83 when the driver left the road as he came through the roundabout at Highway I at about 5:37 a.m., according to Mukwonago Fire Chief Jeff Stien. The truck drove off the east side of Highway 83, rolling onto its side and rupturing a fuel tank, which spilled about 100 to 125 gallons of diesel fuel onto the ground. Additionally, the truck was hauling 40,000 gallons of oil in the trailer.
The driver of the truck was out of the vehicle when Town of Mukwonago police arrived on the scene. Stien said the driver had no injuries but was "shaken up" and was transported to Waukesha Memorial Hospital.
The City of Waukesha Fire Department's hazardous materials crew and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources were called to the scene to place barriers under the fuel tanks. Crews worked several hours to empty the oil from the trailer before setting the semi upright. Veolia Environmental Services was called to help clean up the spill.
No police report is available at this time.
- Hirschfeld commits to Wisconsin (0)
- Mukwonago holds hazardous waste collection this Saturday (0)
- Siergiej resigns at Arrowhead (0)
- Donate at North Prairie blood drive (0)
- High winds, rain hit Lake Country (0)
- Law office will renovate building in downtown Mukwonago (0)
- Hy. 16 near Pewaukee closed (0)
- T-shirt sale helps support Special Olympics (0)
- Kettle Moraine High School nationally certified for PLTW (0)
- Oconomowoc couple charged with home break-in (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts