The northbound lane of Highway 83 near Highway I in Mukwonago is still closed after a semi rolled onto its side on a bed of drainage rock at Highway 83 and I early this morning.
The semi was traveling north on Highway 83 when the driver left the road as he came through the roundabout at Highway I at about 5:37 a.m., according to Mukwonago Fire Chief Jeff Stien. The truck drove off the east side of Highway 83, rolling onto its side and rupturing a fuel tank, which spilled about 100 to 125 gallons of diesel fuel onto the ground. Additionally, the truck was hauling 40,000 gallons of oil in the trailer.
The driver of the truck was out of the vehicle when Town of Mukwonago police arrived on the scene. Stien said the driver had no injuries but was "shaken up" and was transported to Waukesha Memorial Hospital.
The City of Waukesha Fire Department's hazardous materials crew and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources were called to the scene to place barriers under the fuel tanks. Crews worked several hours to empty the oil from the trailer before setting the semi upright. Veolia Environmental Services was called to help clean up the spill.
No police report is available at this time.
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Rock thrown through Mukwonago Food Pantry window overnight (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- Give a pint, get a pint at Mukwonago community blood drive (0)
- Cushing will receive MOH (0)
- Fourth charter school set to open in Kettle Moraine School District (0)
- Last free concert for the season Aug. 29 (0)
- Hartland Village Board approves preliminary plat for Sanctuary subdivision (0)
- Former Mukwonago star athlete Dominic Cizauskas sentenced to 12 months in jail for third-degree sexual assault (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts