Thursday was a rough day at the WIAA Division 1 state wrestling meet in Madison for a pair of Arrowhead wrestlers looking to defend their state titles.
Andrew Crone (120 pounds) fell in the second round to Derek Gill of Burlington, 7-3, and Adam Yde (138) fell by an 11-5 decision to Travis Smith of Bradley Tech. Both will not repeat as state champions after taking first place last year at the year-end showcase. Both can still wrestle back for third place.
Mitchell Berenz (145 pounds) was the only Arrohwead wrestler getting into the semifinals among the seven state qualifiers. He'll face top-ranked Rylan Lubeck of Wisconsin Rapids on Friday evening looking for a place in Saturday's final.
Cory Cinelli (126), Mitchell Anderson (170), Zak Ryder (195) and Austin Gatchel (285) fell in the first round. Only Gatchel was afforded a wrestleback Friday.
Mukwonago's Luke Belich reached the semifinals at 220 pounds and face off with Michael Gamboa of Sauk Prairie tomorrow, looking for a place in the finals. Teammates Tyler Ladwig (heavyweight) and Dave Unger (170) fell in the first round, with Unger earning a wrestleback.
Five of the six Sussex Hamilton wrestlers qualifying for state fell in the first round, with Mike Konvalinka (195) winning his first match before falling to Francisco Mata of Waterford, 9-0. Phil Flegner (126), Nick Knoebel (145) and Ben Hollnagel (152) all earned wrestlebacks and will compete along with Konvalinka on Friday.
Pewaukee's Alex Owens fell in the first round in Division 2, and Danny Bush of St. John's Northwestern Military Academy won and will compete tomorrow with teammate Jordan Newman. Other Pewaukee wrestlers Dan Brown and Josh Berg will also compete for the first time Friday in the quarterfinals.
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Rock thrown through Mukwonago Food Pantry window overnight (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- Give a pint, get a pint at Mukwonago community blood drive (0)
- Cushing will receive MOH (0)
- Fourth charter school set to open in Kettle Moraine School District (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts