WAUKESHA - A Waukesha County Circuit Court jury has unanimouusly rejected the claims of six City of Delafield property owners who sought more than a million dollars in damages from 92-year-old Margaret Zerwekh because she followed orders from the Department of Natural Resources and drained a dam mill pond on her property along the Bark River.
The department ordered the wooden flood gates removed on the dam owned by Zerwekh in July of 2008 because officials were concerned about the safety of her home and the lives and property of residents down river following heavy rain storms in early June.
The neighbors asserted that the sediment that remained after the pond was drained created a nuisance that was contributing to the loss of real estate values on their homes. In addition, they said they had suffered the loss of the enjoyment of living on a mill pond.
They accussed Zerwekh of failing to maintain the dam and refusing help from neighbors and the City of Delafield in repairing the dam.
However, the jury ruled the neighbors were not entitled to access and the benefits of the pond. The jury also determined Zerwekh was not responsible for the nuisance created by the sediment which did not pose a significant financial loss to the neighbors, according to the verdict.
The neighbors had also objected to Zerwekh's plan to remove, rather than restore or repair, the more than 170 year old steel and wooden dam spillway structure. DNR has issued a permit for the removal of the dam but has not yet set a date for the work to begin.
- Update on armed robbery in Sussex (0)
- Armed robbery at Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Police surround Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Big Bend to host first holiday event Friday (0)
- Water clean-up close Lake Country Lutheran for the day (0)
- Mukwonago woman sentenced for $250k theft from Brookfield business (0)
- Sheriff's Department releases sketch of Town of Eagle suspect (0)
- Park snowmobiles until trails are ready (0)
- Waukesha County Sheriff's lieutenant under investigation (0)
- AHS girls BB team moves to 3-0 (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007