Village of Merton - It appears Village officials are unlikely to contribute to the cost of a consultant's study into how three privately chartered volunteer fire departments can provide more cost efficient services to the village and Town of Merton.
"I am against spending $50,000 on a study," said Village President Robert Weber.
"It is putting the cart before the horse," added Village Administrator Tom Nelson.
Nelson said there are internal issues between the departments that should be resolved before the study is conducted.
After the meeting, Nelson predicted the board may reconsider whether to contribute to the study when fire fighters with the Merton department are satisfied the issues between the departments have been resolved.
The Merton department along with volunteer departments in Stone Bank and North Lake provide contractual emergency services to the town and village,
Trustee Bruce Blawat urged his fellow board members to "keep an open"mind." Blawat said the three departments are considering hiring the Illinois based consulting firm to study whether consolidation of the departments is the most cost effective alternative to providing services in the future.
Trustee Ronald Reinowski warned the board that there may have to be some kind of reorganization of fire and emergency medical services in the village and township because the departments are having a difficult time maintaining volunteers.
- Christmas in Eagle Friday night (0)
- Update on armed robbery in Sussex (0)
- Armed robbery at Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Police surround Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Big Bend to host first holiday event Friday (0)
- Water clean-up close Lake Country Lutheran for the day (0)
- Mukwonago woman sentenced for $250k theft from Brookfield business (0)
- Sheriff's Department releases sketch of Town of Eagle suspect (0)
- Park snowmobiles until trails are ready (0)
- Waukesha County Sheriff's lieutenant under investigation (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007