Village of Merton - It appears Village officials are unlikely to contribute to the cost of a consultant's study into how three privately chartered volunteer fire departments can provide more cost efficient services to the village and Town of Merton.
"I am against spending $50,000 on a study," said Village President Robert Weber.
"It is putting the cart before the horse," added Village Administrator Tom Nelson.
Nelson said there are internal issues between the departments that should be resolved before the study is conducted.
After the meeting, Nelson predicted the board may reconsider whether to contribute to the study when fire fighters with the Merton department are satisfied the issues between the departments have been resolved.
The Merton department along with volunteer departments in Stone Bank and North Lake provide contractual emergency services to the town and village,
Trustee Bruce Blawat urged his fellow board members to "keep an open"mind." Blawat said the three departments are considering hiring the Illinois based consulting firm to study whether consolidation of the departments is the most cost effective alternative to providing services in the future.
Trustee Ronald Reinowski warned the board that there may have to be some kind of reorganization of fire and emergency medical services in the village and township because the departments are having a difficult time maintaining volunteers.
- Hensler's granddaughter dies in tragic beach accident (0)
- Hensler Field dedication highlights Mukwonago football game (0)
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007