Village of Sussex - Despite the objections of two village trustees, the Village Board tonight approved allowing village employees to serve liquor at the "Sounds of Sussex" summer concert series at Weyer Park.
"I think there should be a family environment at village events and I would just prefer they not sell liquor at those events," said Trustee Jim Batzko.
"You will have village employees selling beer across a folding table. I just don't think that is enough control of the situation and I think that is putting too much responsibility on our employees," added Trustee Jason Wegner
However, Village President Greg Goetz, along with three other trustees, said they had no objections to the employees selling the liquor on behalf of the village. Goetz noted the employees will have to take a training course on how to responsibly selling and serve liquor.
Village Attorney John Macy explained that state law exempts the village from any liability resulting from the municipal sell of liquor at municipally sponsored events.
Village Administrator Jeremy Smith explained after the meeting that last year the local Lions Club sold beer and other alcoholic beverages at the concerts in the park behind Village Hall.
He said the Lions could not sell this year because the concerts exceeded the number of events in which the Lions were licensed to sell and serve liquor. Three concerts have been scheduled this year. The Lions sell beer and liquor at several other events in the village.
- Town of Merton board to take action on municipal garbage/recycling contract (0)
- Melges IV wins Blue Chip regatta (0)
- Schimel denies Butler cop's allegations (0)
- Another teenager charged in connection to weapons found at high school (0)
- Area schools thrive in recent DPI report card (0)
- Presentation of Salem Witch Trials on Oct. 22 (0)
- Car thefts spark sheriff's warning to protect property near Norris Adolescent Center (0)
- Hawkfest tomorrow (0)
- Children's book release party at OPL (0)
- Drug drop off Sept. 27 (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007