Town of Lisbon - Colgate Road, which for decades served Lisbon residents as a north-south connector road to Highway Q, will be closed permanently sometime between June 5 and June 15.
The road will be closed about a mile south of Highway Q at the Canadian National Railway vehicle crossing which has been ordered shut down by state railroad authorities.
Town Administrator Jeff Musche said according to the railroad commissioner's order Canadian National must close the crossing within 10 days prior to June 15.
State officials were requested by the railroad to close the crossing for safety reasons over the objections of town officials and despite the fact there had not been an accident at the crossing in decades.
Railroad and state rail safety officials said the railroad tracks crossed the road at such a sharp angle that it obstructed motorists ability to see oncoming trains.
Musche advised that motorist who use Colgate Road to access Highway Q should begin using either Town Line Road or North Road, which links HIghway Q and North Lisbon Road.
The Town Board tonight approved a $106,621 contract for construction of cul de sacs at the north and south sides of the railway crossing which will be fenced. Most of the construction costs for the cul de sacs will be paid for by the railroad, according to Town Chairman Matt Gehrke.
However, a T shaped closure may have to be temporarily installed this summer while the town negotiates with a property owner over right of way needed to complete the cul de sac located on the south side of the closed crossing..
- Hartland plan commission approves building modifications for new restaurant (0)
- Town of Merton considers municipal garbage/recycle contract (0)
- One last canoeing trip (0)
- Bark for Life comes to Field Park on Sept. 20 (0)
- Pewaukee CC teams win at Mayville (0)
- Kettle Moraine football team goes on impressive run to defeat Waukesha South (0)
- AHS football team rallies past CMH (0)
- Bowling ball art auction going on (0)
- Ashippun FD earns award (0)
- No body cameras for lake patrol (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007