Village of Sussex - The Village Board during an informal and unexpected roll call vote tonight rejected the idea of installing three roundabouts as part of the reconstruction of Main Street scheduled for 2015 or 2016.
'I am sure roundabouts have their place, but not in the Village of Sussex," said Village President Greg Goetz.
"The public is against roundabouts and as far as I am concerned they are off the table," added Trustee Jim Batzko.
An estimated 125 village residents showed up for the meeting that was a workshop style discussion between village trustees and their consultants regarding various alternatives for the reconstruction and resurfacing of a one mile segment of Main Street from Locust to Waukesha Avenues.
Included was a proposal to install three roundabouts which highway engineers said would move traffic more safely and efficiently through the village. But residents and business owners strongly opposed the roundabouts.
They argued roundabounts would speed traffic through the village, pose safety issues for pedesterians and bicyclists, particularly children, and could detract from the quaint, small town atmosphere of the village.
The consultants told the Village Board that more than 70 percent of the public comments about the roundabouts, expressed in writting at four public information session, were opposed to them.
Trustee Pat Tetzlaff said she had recently received 74 telephone calls regarding the roundabouts. She said 71 callers were opposed to the roundabouts,one supported them, and two callers indicated they might support a roundabout at one of the three proposed locations.
The board was not scheduled to make a decision at the meeting. However, as Goetz asked each trustee their opinion, it became clear the board uanimously opposed the roundabouts.
One village resident asked Goetz if he was going to take a formal roll call on the issue.
Goetz indicated it wasn't necessary.
'It is not an item on our agenda for tonight, but they are off the table," he said..
- Hensler Field dedication highlights Mukwonago football game (0)
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Rock thrown through Mukwonago Food Pantry window overnight (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007