City of Delafield - The idea of converting the city's two main thoroughfares into east and west one way streets was quickly dropped tonight by the Common Council.
Two weeks ago, Ald. Lynn Morrison suggested that converting Milwaukee and Main to east-west one way streets would move traffic more efficiently through downtown business and residential districts and provide safer access to pedesterians and bicyclists.
However, Mayor Ed McAleer told the Common Council tonight he received several phones call from business owners, residents, and public safety officials who opposed the idea because of safety and other reasons.
Ald. Tim Aicher added that he proposed a similar idea about three years ago to the city's influencial Public Works Committee and it was rejected. Aicher, a member of the committee, said he believes a majority of the committee is still opposed to one way streets.
Aicher said the committee is likely to support a proposal to widen Main Street and add sidewalks extending from the downtown business district east to Firemen's Park.
The wider street with sidewalks is expected to relieve some of the vehicle and pedesterian traffic from Milwaukee Street. City Engineer Mike Court estimated the cost of the project would be about $900,000.
Morrison said the city could save the cost of widening Main Street if Milwaukee and Main were converted to one way streets.
"But, if I am told it is a non starter, I will drop it," she said.
"it is a non starter," responded Aicher.
"Then I am done with it," Morrison replied.
- Bank owned structures called dangerous (0)
- Delafield may dump "up the drive" waste collection (0)
- Delafield invites Obama (0)
- ACT scores up for area schools (0)
- Hensler's granddaughter dies in tragic beach accident (0)
- Hensler Field dedication highlights Mukwonago football game (0)
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007