City of Delafield - The idea of converting the city's two main thoroughfares into east and west one way streets was quickly dropped tonight by the Common Council.
Two weeks ago, Ald. Lynn Morrison suggested that converting Milwaukee and Main to east-west one way streets would move traffic more efficiently through downtown business and residential districts and provide safer access to pedesterians and bicyclists.
However, Mayor Ed McAleer told the Common Council tonight he received several phones call from business owners, residents, and public safety officials who opposed the idea because of safety and other reasons.
Ald. Tim Aicher added that he proposed a similar idea about three years ago to the city's influencial Public Works Committee and it was rejected. Aicher, a member of the committee, said he believes a majority of the committee is still opposed to one way streets.
Aicher said the committee is likely to support a proposal to widen Main Street and add sidewalks extending from the downtown business district east to Firemen's Park.
The wider street with sidewalks is expected to relieve some of the vehicle and pedesterian traffic from Milwaukee Street. City Engineer Mike Court estimated the cost of the project would be about $900,000.
Morrison said the city could save the cost of widening Main Street if Milwaukee and Main were converted to one way streets.
"But, if I am told it is a non starter, I will drop it," she said.
"it is a non starter," responded Aicher.
"Then I am done with it," Morrison replied.
- Drug drop off Sept. 27 (0)
- Mukwonago students skype with Shark Tank cast (0)
- Lisbon seeks temporary clerk (0)
- AHS homecoming parade moved to a Sunday (0)
- Hartland plan commission approves building modifications for new restaurant (0)
- Town of Merton considers municipal garbage/recycle contract (0)
- One last canoeing trip (0)
- Bark for Life comes to Field Park on Sept. 20 (0)
- Pewaukee CC teams win at Mayville (0)
- Kettle Moraine football team goes on impressive run to defeat Waukesha South (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007