The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (DOT) has called an information meeting at 5 p.m. Thursday, May 24, to discuss their plans to modify the roundabout at Highways 59 and 83. The meeting will be held at Genesee Town Hall, S49 W31391 Highway 83.
In response to larger semi trucks, especially lowboy trucks, barely fitting through the new roundabout, the DOT has spent the past several months looking at what might need to be changed at the intersection. Back in April, DOT Project Manager John Kanzenbach explained that some larger trucks are scuffing into parts of the intersection such as curb and gutter.
According to Genesee Chairwoman Sharon Leair, the DOT has some preliminary plans ready and their intention is to do the roundabout work in June.
During an interview last month, Leair said “We don’t understand how the state engineers couldn’t have known that, from what we understand, Highway 59 is a wide-load route. Yet, based on what we know, the work needs to be done.”
She said some trucks have already gotten hung up on the roundabout, especially as they try to make a three-quarter turn from Highway 59 onto both north and south Highway 83.
“The businesses lost enough last year because of the road closing. They certainly don’t need any more hardship,” said Leair.
Check next week’s Kettle Moraine Index for the outcome of the meeting.
- Highway 16 interchange plans revised (0)
- Arrowhead annual meeting on Wednesday (0)
- Tree falls on power lines in Mukwonago (0)
- Bluegrass festival volunteers needed in East Troy (0)
- Phones and internet down at Lake Country/MyCommunityNow (0)
- Oconomowoc woman accused of selling, using heroin (0)
- Pewaukee School District approves tax levy (0)
- Chenequa approves November levy referendum (0)
- Mukwonago Chief hosts 125th Birthday Party tomorrow (0)
- Design materials free for reuse at Green Design (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts