The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (DOT) has called an information meeting at 5 p.m. Thursday, May 24, to discuss their plans to modify the roundabout at Highways 59 and 83. The meeting will be held at Genesee Town Hall, S49 W31391 Highway 83.
In response to larger semi trucks, especially lowboy trucks, barely fitting through the new roundabout, the DOT has spent the past several months looking at what might need to be changed at the intersection. Back in April, DOT Project Manager John Kanzenbach explained that some larger trucks are scuffing into parts of the intersection such as curb and gutter.
According to Genesee Chairwoman Sharon Leair, the DOT has some preliminary plans ready and their intention is to do the roundabout work in June.
During an interview last month, Leair said “We don’t understand how the state engineers couldn’t have known that, from what we understand, Highway 59 is a wide-load route. Yet, based on what we know, the work needs to be done.”
She said some trucks have already gotten hung up on the roundabout, especially as they try to make a three-quarter turn from Highway 59 onto both north and south Highway 83.
“The businesses lost enough last year because of the road closing. They certainly don’t need any more hardship,” said Leair.
Check next week’s Kettle Moraine Index for the outcome of the meeting.
- Friends of Vernon Marsh hold educational small prairie burn today (0)
- Easter activities for the whole family (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- Big Bend/Vernon Lions host egg hunt (0)
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts