The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (DOT) has called an information meeting at 5 p.m. Thursday, May 24, to discuss their plans to modify the roundabout at Highways 59 and 83. The meeting will be held at Genesee Town Hall, S49 W31391 Highway 83.
In response to larger semi trucks, especially lowboy trucks, barely fitting through the new roundabout, the DOT has spent the past several months looking at what might need to be changed at the intersection. Back in April, DOT Project Manager John Kanzenbach explained that some larger trucks are scuffing into parts of the intersection such as curb and gutter.
According to Genesee Chairwoman Sharon Leair, the DOT has some preliminary plans ready and their intention is to do the roundabout work in June.
During an interview last month, Leair said “We don’t understand how the state engineers couldn’t have known that, from what we understand, Highway 59 is a wide-load route. Yet, based on what we know, the work needs to be done.”
She said some trucks have already gotten hung up on the roundabout, especially as they try to make a three-quarter turn from Highway 59 onto both north and south Highway 83.
“The businesses lost enough last year because of the road closing. They certainly don’t need any more hardship,” said Leair.
Check next week’s Kettle Moraine Index for the outcome of the meeting.
- Bell Tower meeting postponed (0)
- Wienermobile visits Hartland this week (0)
- New Mukwonago elementary principal announced (0)
- Hartland village board talks quiet zones (0)
- Waste contract debate in Merton town (0)
- Police investigate emergency at corner of Wisconsin Ave. and Brown Street gas station (0)
- Mukwonago Food Pantry celebrates 25 years (0)
- Hartland village board to discuss 2015-2020 capitol improvements plan tonight (0)
- OHS grad passes away (0)
- Taste of Lake Country this weekend (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts