Village of Sussex - Village Trustees have rejected the idea of widening Main Street because they did not want to disrupt the lives of business owners and residents who live along the street and they wanted to maintain the small town atmosophere of the village's central business and residential district.
Village staff and consultants suggested widening the street to improve the flow of traffic through the village after trustees last month rejected the idea of building three roundabouts along Main Street.
The staff and consultants have said it is necessary to rebuild Main Street in order to modernize and repair sewer, water and other utilities buried beneath the street and replace the street's foundation which is more than 50 years old,
However, widening the street would have required the village to purchase 5 to 10 feet of right of way from the small front yards of the homes that line the street.
Village Trustee Pat Tetzlaff suggested the village could tear up the street, update and repair the utilities, and then rebuild and resurface the street without widening it.
Trustee Bob Zarzynski said repeatedly during the meeting that he wanted to minimize the disruption to business owners and residents during the reconstruction of Main Street.
Trustee Tim Dietrich said he was concerned that a wider street would encourage a greater volume of traffic to move through the village at a higher rate of speed. He suggested that the volume of traffic would be less and the speeds slower if the village did not widen the street.
Trustee Jason Wegner failed to convince his colleagues to consider an alternative plan that would have widened the road by purchasing two feet of right of way from property owners.
- Hensler Field dedication highlights Mukwonago football game (0)
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Rock thrown through Mukwonago Food Pantry window overnight (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007