Village of Sussex - Village Trustees have rejected the idea of widening Main Street because they did not want to disrupt the lives of business owners and residents who live along the street and they wanted to maintain the small town atmosophere of the village's central business and residential district.
Village staff and consultants suggested widening the street to improve the flow of traffic through the village after trustees last month rejected the idea of building three roundabouts along Main Street.
The staff and consultants have said it is necessary to rebuild Main Street in order to modernize and repair sewer, water and other utilities buried beneath the street and replace the street's foundation which is more than 50 years old,
However, widening the street would have required the village to purchase 5 to 10 feet of right of way from the small front yards of the homes that line the street.
Village Trustee Pat Tetzlaff suggested the village could tear up the street, update and repair the utilities, and then rebuild and resurface the street without widening it.
Trustee Bob Zarzynski said repeatedly during the meeting that he wanted to minimize the disruption to business owners and residents during the reconstruction of Main Street.
Trustee Tim Dietrich said he was concerned that a wider street would encourage a greater volume of traffic to move through the village at a higher rate of speed. He suggested that the volume of traffic would be less and the speeds slower if the village did not widen the street.
Trustee Jason Wegner failed to convince his colleagues to consider an alternative plan that would have widened the road by purchasing two feet of right of way from property owners.
- Park snowmobiles until trails are ready (0)
- Waukesha County Sheriff's lieutenant under investigation (0)
- AHS girls BB team moves to 3-0 (0)
- Kettle Moraine alumni basketball returns (0)
- Attwell announces for Delafield Mayor (0)
- Highway 83 accident witnesses sought (0)
- Food pantry items collected at holiday lights display in Mukwonago (0)
- DOT informational meeting held at Mukwonago Library (0)
- Donors needed for Waukesha blood drive (0)
- Sweet treats on sale at Mukwonago Food Pantry cookie fundraiser (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007