The Vernon Fire Department isn't exactly sure what started a brush fire along I-43 this afternoon, but a discarded cigarette butt is a likely cause, Chief Alex Felde said.
The fire began around 2:09 p.m. this afternoon on the shoulder of northbound I-43 near Edgewood Ave. Felde said the fire burned between one and two acres of land.
The department called for mutual aid from Mukwonago, who provided an additional brush truck and an ATV. The Waukesha County Sheriff's Department was on the scene to help control traffic.
Felde said that with these extremely dry conditions, he is taking no risks. In a situation like this one where a fire could quickly get out of control, he called for backup immediately to ensure everyone's safety.
No one was hurt in the incident.
Crews were back in the station at around 3:30 p.m.
- Friends of Vernon Marsh hold educational small prairie burn today (0)
- Easter activities for the whole family (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- Big Bend/Vernon Lions host egg hunt (0)
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts