The Vernon Fire Department isn't exactly sure what started a brush fire along I-43 this afternoon, but a discarded cigarette butt is a likely cause, Chief Alex Felde said.
The fire began around 2:09 p.m. this afternoon on the shoulder of northbound I-43 near Edgewood Ave. Felde said the fire burned between one and two acres of land.
The department called for mutual aid from Mukwonago, who provided an additional brush truck and an ATV. The Waukesha County Sheriff's Department was on the scene to help control traffic.
Felde said that with these extremely dry conditions, he is taking no risks. In a situation like this one where a fire could quickly get out of control, he called for backup immediately to ensure everyone's safety.
No one was hurt in the incident.
Crews were back in the station at around 3:30 p.m.
- Drug drop off Sept. 27 (0)
- Mukwonago students skype with Shark Tank cast (0)
- Lisbon seeks temporary clerk (0)
- AHS homecoming parade moved to a Sunday (0)
- Hartland plan commission approves building modifications for new restaurant (0)
- Town of Merton considers municipal garbage/recycle contract (0)
- One last canoeing trip (0)
- Bark for Life comes to Field Park on Sept. 20 (0)
- Pewaukee CC teams win at Mayville (0)
- Kettle Moraine football team goes on impressive run to defeat Waukesha South (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007