The Vernon Fire Department isn't exactly sure what started a brush fire along I-43 this afternoon, but a discarded cigarette butt is a likely cause, Chief Alex Felde said.
The fire began around 2:09 p.m. this afternoon on the shoulder of northbound I-43 near Edgewood Ave. Felde said the fire burned between one and two acres of land.
The department called for mutual aid from Mukwonago, who provided an additional brush truck and an ATV. The Waukesha County Sheriff's Department was on the scene to help control traffic.
Felde said that with these extremely dry conditions, he is taking no risks. In a situation like this one where a fire could quickly get out of control, he called for backup immediately to ensure everyone's safety.
No one was hurt in the incident.
Crews were back in the station at around 3:30 p.m.
- Wienermobile visits Hartland this week (0)
- New Mukwonago elementary principal announced (0)
- Hartland village board talks quiet zones (0)
- Waste contract debate in Merton town (0)
- Police investigate emergency at corner of Wisconsin Ave. and Brown Street gas station (0)
- Mukwonago Food Pantry celebrates 25 years (0)
- Hartland village board to discuss 2015-2020 capitol improvements plan tonight (0)
- OHS grad passes away (0)
- Taste of Lake Country this weekend (0)
- Gateway apartment development begins construction in Oconomowoc (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts