As the gardens at Old World Wisconsin hit their peak, the historic site will host a series of before- and after-hours heirloom garden strolls. These exclusive events provide opportunities for visitors to learn about the different ethnic groups' gardening styles and traditions see some of their favorite plants and learn how they were used.
Each stroll will be led by the site's expert historical gardener, Marcia Carmichael. In addition to researching, organizing and leading management of the site's 12 heirloom gardens, Carmichael is also the award-winning author of "Putting Down Roots: Gardening Insights from Wisconsin's Early Settlers," which was published in 2011 by the Wisconsin Historical Society Press and features the gardens of Old World Wisconsin.
Each tour concludes with refreshments featuring flavors from the homelands of the gardens visited; evening strolls include refreshments in the garden toured, plus a cash bar.
Reservations are required and available online at www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx or at (262) 594-6301.
Reservations for a garden stroll include a single-use, half-price museum admission voucher, valid for the 2012 season.
Morning garden strolls on July 22 in the Kruza and Schottler gardens and Sept. 16 in the Ketola and Pedersen gardens are from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Cost is $15 per person
Evening Garden Strolls on Aug. 23 in the Schulz and Koepsell gardens and Sept. 6 in the Sanford and Benson gardens are from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Cost is $20 per person.
- Christmas in Eagle Friday night (0)
- Update on armed robbery in Sussex (0)
- Armed robbery at Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Police surround Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Big Bend to host first holiday event Friday (0)
- Water clean-up close Lake Country Lutheran for the day (0)
- Mukwonago woman sentenced for $250k theft from Brookfield business (0)
- Sheriff's Department releases sketch of Town of Eagle suspect (0)
- Park snowmobiles until trails are ready (0)
- Waukesha County Sheriff's lieutenant under investigation (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007