A Sullivan man was charged with a felony after sheriff’s deputies pulled him over on Sept. 8 for his sixth OWI offense.
Jeremy F. Schmidt, 39, was stopped while headed eastbound on I-94 near Springdale Road after a deputy observed him traveling in excess of 85 to 90 miles per hour. According to the criminal complaint filed in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Sept. 10, Schmidt’s vehicle swerved between lanes as well.
Once pulled over, Schmidt got out of his car smelling of intoxicants with bloodshot eyes and slurred speech. Asked if he had been drinking, Schmidt said he had consumed two beers about an hour before the 12:24 a.m. traffic stop.
After conducting field sobriety tests and administering a preliminary breath test, the deputy determined that Schmidt was under the influence. His blood alcohol content registered at .182, the complaint alleged.
The deputy transported him to Waukesha Memorial Hospital. On the way, he yelled, “God (explicative) it” and other profanities several times, the complaint stated.
He initially stated that he would not submit to a blood test. Later, after a deputy observed Schmidt to be staring at him, the deputy asked if Schmidt was trying to threaten him. Schmidt allegedly responded, “I’m not trying to threaten you, I’m just trying to make eye contact. I think you’re kinda cute,” the complaint stated.
Hospital staff completed a blood draw without incident, but Schmidt refused to answer any questions. Schmidt has five previous convictions for OWI stemming from violations in May 1997, two in December 1998, one in April 1999, and another in July 2004, according to the complaint.
If convicted of the felony charge, Schmidt faces a maximum of up to $10,000 in fines and up to six years in prison.
- Highway 83 accident witnesses sought (0)
- Food pantry items collected at holiday lights display in Mukwonago (0)
- DOT informational meeting held at Mukwonago Library (0)
- Donors needed for Waukesha blood drive (0)
- Sweet treats on sale at Mukwonago Food Pantry cookie fundraiser (0)
- Festival of Trees on display at Garden Mart (0)
- Kids' holiday gift workshop (0)
- Delafield Gun Club permit rejected (0)
- Enjoy a holiday classic with Mukwonago Village Players (0)
- Fatal accident on I-43 South in Town of Vernon (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007