A Sullivan man was charged with a felony after sheriff’s deputies pulled him over on Sept. 8 for his sixth OWI offense.
Jeremy F. Schmidt, 39, was stopped while headed eastbound on I-94 near Springdale Road after a deputy observed him traveling in excess of 85 to 90 miles per hour. According to the criminal complaint filed in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Sept. 10, Schmidt’s vehicle swerved between lanes as well.
Once pulled over, Schmidt got out of his car smelling of intoxicants with bloodshot eyes and slurred speech. Asked if he had been drinking, Schmidt said he had consumed two beers about an hour before the 12:24 a.m. traffic stop.
After conducting field sobriety tests and administering a preliminary breath test, the deputy determined that Schmidt was under the influence. His blood alcohol content registered at .182, the complaint alleged.
The deputy transported him to Waukesha Memorial Hospital. On the way, he yelled, “God (explicative) it” and other profanities several times, the complaint stated.
He initially stated that he would not submit to a blood test. Later, after a deputy observed Schmidt to be staring at him, the deputy asked if Schmidt was trying to threaten him. Schmidt allegedly responded, “I’m not trying to threaten you, I’m just trying to make eye contact. I think you’re kinda cute,” the complaint stated.
Hospital staff completed a blood draw without incident, but Schmidt refused to answer any questions. Schmidt has five previous convictions for OWI stemming from violations in May 1997, two in December 1998, one in April 1999, and another in July 2004, according to the complaint.
If convicted of the felony charge, Schmidt faces a maximum of up to $10,000 in fines and up to six years in prison.
- ACT scores up for area schools (0)
- Hensler's granddaughter dies in tragic beach accident (0)
- Hensler Field dedication highlights Mukwonago football game (0)
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007