Village of Sussex - The Village Board tonight uanimously rejected a counter proposal offered by the Town of Lisbon as the two communities continue to negotiate on whether they will share one million dollars in operating cost for the Pauline Haass Library.
Village President Greg Goetz expressed disappointment that the Town Board rejected during its Monday night meeting a contract proposal recommended by a negotiating committee comprised of town, village and library representatives.
The negotiating committee proposal would require the town to pay about $425,000 annually and the village pay about $500,000.. The formula in the proposal is based on each community's library usage, tax base and population.
The village would pay about $40,000 more than it presently pays for library operations and the town would pay abourt $40,000 less, according to village officials.
The town's counter proposal adopts the first two years of the negotiating committee pay scheduled but beginning in 2015, the town's annual contribution to the library would drop to $250,000.
Town Chairman Matt Gehrke said the $250,000 is equivalent to the amount of a tax levy town residents would pay if they were required to pay 24 cent per $100,000 county wide library tax. Town residents do not pay the tax because of the existing cost sharing agreement between the communities.
Gehrke said the village should contribute more money to the library than the town because village residents use the library more than town residents. Goetz said the town is trying to demand Sussex residents pay more than their fair share of the library costs.
Goetz said the village board will meet in a closed session later this month to determine whether and how to continue the negotiations.
- Early registration offered for St. Paul kindergarten (0)
- Christmas in Eagle Friday night (0)
- Update on armed robbery in Sussex (0)
- Armed robbery at Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Police surround Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Big Bend to host first holiday event Friday (0)
- Water clean-up close Lake Country Lutheran for the day (0)
- Mukwonago woman sentenced for $250k theft from Brookfield business (0)
- Sheriff's Department releases sketch of Town of Eagle suspect (0)
- Waukesha County Sheriff's lieutenant under investigation (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007