A man with one previous OWI conviction was charged last week with his second after he allegedly struck and injured a 13-year-old boy riding a scooter in Delafield on Sept. 15.
According to the criminal complaint, Leroy E. Blanchard, 65, of 1000 Nagawicka St., blew a .124 on his preliminary breath test.
The crash allegedly occurred near Main Street and Milwaukee Street in the City of Delafield, where the 13-year-old boy was riding a scooter. When police arrived, the boy had a scrape and a bruise on his left knee. His left foot was bandaged near the heel, and it had been bleeding. Emergency personnel also believed the boy had been struck in the head by something.
Police noted that Blanchard’s right rearview mirror was bent back toward the vehicle and that the mirror itself was shattered. Shattered and broken glass littered the driveway and roadway near the scene of the accident.
The complaint stated that Blanchard smelled of intoxicants and that he had an open food container containing ribs inside the vehicle. He allegedly told police, he was “just sitting here eating ribs.” The complaint indicated that Blanchard, who had glassy, watery eyes, seemed oblivious to the fact that he had just struck a child, and it did not appear that he had ever asked about the child’s condition.
After performing field sobriety tests, police determined that Blanchard was under the influence. He was placed under arrest and taken to Waukesha Memorial Hospital for a blood test.
Blanchard was convicted of a previous OWI in January 2002 for an incident in September 2001.
If convicted of the felony charge, Blanchard could serve a maximum of up to six years in prison and face a $10,000 fine.
- Hensler's granddaughter dies in tragic beach accident (0)
- Hensler Field dedication highlights Mukwonago football game (0)
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007