A brief lockdown at the two Merton schools ended without incident this morning.
According to the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department, authorities were alerted to a possibly suicidal individual carrying a weapon in the vicinity of the two abutting schools at approximately 11 a.m.
"So just as a precautionary measure they (sheriff's deputies) contacted the schools to do a lockdown until they found him," said Capt. Karen Ruff of the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department.
The man in question was found in Milwaukee County a short time later, and the school was returned to normal status by 11:50 a.m.
Merton Community School District Superintendent Ron Russ e-mailed parents in the wake of the incident but offered few details.
"First, everything is just fine and the situation that arose today poses no threat to our community. It was handled by law enforcement," he wrote.
The e-mail described a "possible dangerous situation (that) could arise in our community."
The school immediately brought all students inside and monitored its entrances. Students were also temporarily kept inside for recess and physical education classes, according to the superintendent's e-mail.
Students and parents were given no further details, but school functions were back to normal after authorities found the man in Milwaukee County.
- AHS girls BB team moves to 3-0 (0)
- Kettle Moraine alumni basketball returns (0)
- Attwell announces for Delafield Mayor (0)
- Highway 83 accident witnesses sought (0)
- Food pantry items collected at holiday lights display in Mukwonago (0)
- DOT informational meeting held at Mukwonago Library (0)
- Donors needed for Waukesha blood drive (0)
- Sweet treats on sale at Mukwonago Food Pantry cookie fundraiser (0)
- Festival of Trees on display at Garden Mart (0)
- Kids' holiday gift workshop (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007