City of Delafield - Plans to widen and resurface Milwaukee Street from the downtown business district east to near the Nagawicka Lake shore have been scrapped by the Common Council.
Instead, the council has approved a compromise proposed by Ald. Jim Behrend that calls for resurfacing Milwaukee Street from Onieda Street, near the downtown business district, east to Oak Street, which is about one third of the original approximately one mile long project.
Behrend, who served as mayor in the 1980s, also suggested the original proposed price tag of $900,000 for the project be cut in half to $450,000.
He convinced his fellow council members that widening and repaving Milwaukee Street from Oak Street east to the intersection of Milwaukee and Main Street, near the lake shore, could be postponed. However, sidewalks will be installed along Milwaukee Street east to Fireman's Park.
The original reconstruction proposal had encountered stiff oppostion from residents living along Milwaukee Street who objected to the number of trees that would be destroyed by widening the road.
They also challenged the wisdom of a replacing natural ditch and culvert storm water drainage along the road with concrete curbs and gutters. They said the hard surfaced system would increase the amount of siltation and pollution flowing off the road into the lake.
City Engineer Mike Court said much of the ditch and culvert system could be maintained with the compromise plan. However, he said most of the trees that would have been destroyed by the original proposal are still likely to be destroyed in the compromise plan.
- Hy. 83 accident causes delays (0)
- Early registration offered for St. Paul kindergarten (0)
- Christmas in Eagle Friday night (0)
- Update on armed robbery in Sussex (0)
- Armed robbery at Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Police surround Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Big Bend to host first holiday event Friday (0)
- Water clean-up close Lake Country Lutheran for the day (0)
- Mukwonago woman sentenced for $250k theft from Brookfield business (0)
- Sheriff's Department releases sketch of Town of Eagle suspect (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007