Village of Dousman - Village Trustees are expected to decide later this month to begin the reconstruction of Main Street in the spring of 2013.
The Village Board will also decide at a yet to be scheduled special meeting whether they want to reconfigure, or bury, utility lines in the downtown business district as part of the Main Street reconstruction project which will also involve repairing or upgrading buried sewer and water lines.
Three of the five village board members indicated during a special meeting Monday night that they were ready to begin the project as soon as possible..
"I would like to begin construction as soon as the thaws begins in the spring," said Village President Jack Nissen.
Trustee Harold Dessart said he might have been willing to wait a year to begin the project if the village had an opportunity to acquire state or federal grants for the project. But, he said, that opportunity does not appear to be available.
Trustee Rita Hawk said she has heard no opposition to the project and downtown business owners would prefer the project be started and completed as quickly as possible.
The primary phase of the project would be in the central business district from Wilson Ave to Henry Street. Additional work along Main Street north and south of the central business district would depend upon the availability of funds for those projects.
Nissen warned the trustees that the project is likely to increase water and sewer rates in the village as well as increase the village tax levy. He said he wanted to get direction at tonight's meeting from the board whether plan to begin construction next year.
A formal decision on the construction and burying of the utility lines will be made at a special meeting to be scheduled later this month, according to Nissen.
- Friends of Vernon Marsh hold educational small prairie burn today (0)
- Easter activities for the whole family (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- Big Bend/Vernon Lions host egg hunt (0)
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts