City of Delafield - Unless someone mounts a successful write in campaign for the April 2 municipal election, the Common Council will have to make an appointment to fill a vacancy in the Third Aldermanic District or hold a special election sometime later this year.
Incumbent Jane Lazynski, a downtown commercial property owner who served on the council for less than a year, filed documents shortly before Christman with City Clerk Gina Gresch indicating she is not running for reelection.
Gresch said this morning that no one has filed candidacy petitions for the Third District. The district's boundaries include most of the south Nagawicka Lake shore and downtown business and residential districts. Wednesday was the deadline for filing municipal candidacy petitions.
Lazynski was elected to the council in 2012 when new district boundaries were drawn as a result of the once a decade federal census. Long time Third District incumbent Erv Sadaowski no longer resided in the district as a result of reapportionament.
The council has the option of either appointing someone to fill the vacancy or conducting a special election, according to Gresch.
However, Mayor Ed McAleer said there is no point in holding a special election if no one in the district expresses an interest in the position.
"It is up to the people who live in the district to come up with someone who wants to represent them on the council," the mayor said.
Three other incumbents Alds. Jeff Krickhahn of the First District, Gerald McDougall in the Fifth District and Tim Aicher of the Seventh District have all filled candidacy petitions and none of the three incumbents have opposition, so far.
- Friends of Vernon Marsh hold educational small prairie burn today (0)
- Easter activities for the whole family (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- Big Bend/Vernon Lions host egg hunt (0)
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts