After working with OpenGate Capital, the Hunger Task Force has been able to recover dairy products from the recently shut-down Golden Guernsey Dairy in Waukesha.
Mukwonago Food Pantry was just one recipient of several cases of Golden Gurnsey pint-sized milk today with their normal delivery of senior Stock Boxes, a federal program that assists low-income seniors.
Sherrie Tussler, Executive Director at Hunger Task Force, said that yesterday alone the organization was able to recover nine semi-trucks full of dairy products. Tussler expected an additional six or seven trucks full to be recovered today and plans to continuously disperse them products throughout the state.
"Some products were already expired but we are taking as much as we can," Tussler said. "We will continue to recover things that have been refrigerated and stored properly and that still have good dates."
Tussler explained the products taken from the plant have a Jan. 21 or 22 best if sold by date and typically can be consumed safely for a week after that.
"People can enjoy the milk until approximately Jan. 29," Tussler said.
The seniors receiving Stock Boxes from Hunger Task Force and the Mukwonago Food Pantry at Eagle Meadows in Eagle were thrilled with this month's extra surprise.
Dan Wenzel, a resident, said it's nice to get milk, especially in pints.
"I can open one up and drink it, I don't have to worry about freezing the big one," Wenzel said.
Tussler says that Hunger Task Force is happy to continue to distribute the recovered products as long as they can to various programs, food pantrys and others in need.
More information on Senior Stock Boxes, the Mukwonago Food Pantry, and how much they enjoyed their special Golden Guernsey treat in the next issue of The Mukwonago Chief.
- Friends of Vernon Marsh hold educational small prairie burn today (0)
- Easter activities for the whole family (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- Big Bend/Vernon Lions host egg hunt (0)
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts