Village of Hartland – The Hartland-Lakeside School Board announced they will have a special meeting on Jan. 28 to discuss possible safety improvements to the district’s schools.
District Administrators have met with Hartland Police to look at potential improvements to the school’s security, including possibly adding new shatterproof windows, cameras, or a new buzzer system for main entrances.
Hartland-Lakeside is just one of several districts looking at possible safety improvements following the death of 27 students and faculty at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
“Safety has always been a priority at schools, ever since we ducked under desks during the Atom Bomb Era,” Superintendent Glenn Schilling said during the Jan. 21 board meeting.
But all security upgrades will have to eventually be accounted for in the budget, Schilling said.
“You can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to secure your building and still not be safe,” he added.
The special meeting will be an opportunity for parents, faculty, staff and board members to come together to discuss what security measures should be added and how much the district is willing to spend.
Schilling said it might be possible to pull money from other programs to invest in security, but that is ultimately a decision for the board.
The school is currently emphasizing student and staff situational awareness and how to respond in the face of a crisis.
- Kettle Moraine alumni basketball returns (0)
- Attwell announces for Delafield Mayor (0)
- Highway 83 accident witnesses sought (0)
- Food pantry items collected at holiday lights display in Mukwonago (0)
- DOT informational meeting held at Mukwonago Library (0)
- Donors needed for Waukesha blood drive (0)
- Sweet treats on sale at Mukwonago Food Pantry cookie fundraiser (0)
- Festival of Trees on display at Garden Mart (0)
- Kids' holiday gift workshop (0)
- Delafield Gun Club permit rejected (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007