Trevor D. Schwigel, W299 N6700 County Road E in Hartland, was charged in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Jan. 26. He had previously been convicted of drunken driving in October 2011.
According to the criminal complaint:
Police responded to an accident at approximately 10 a.m. on Jan. 26 at CTH VV in the area of Lake Road. Schwigel allegedly told police he was driving home after leaving work and his tires hit a patch of fresh snow on the road’s shoulder. He then steered away and crossed over into oncoming traffic, smashing into a blue truck. The driver of the blue truck was not transported to the hospital, but told police he had neck pain.
Schwigel was asked if he had anything to drink before driving and allegedly told police he had not. A breath test was performed and the defendant blew a reported value of .171, almost twice the legal limit.
Schwigel was supposed to have an ignition interlock device in his vehicle because of his previous drunken driving conviction, but he was driving his sister’s car.
The defendant allegedly later told police that he had been drinking the previous night, but had slept for seven hours.
If convicted, the defendant could face up to six years in prison, $10,000 in fines, or both. The defendant could also lose his license for up to two years.
Schwigel’s next expected court date is March 8.
UPDATE: Schwigel pleaded no-contest to the misdemeanor drunken driving charge and was found guilty. He was sentenced to 30 days in the Huber facility, fined $1,1009, and his driver’s license was revoked for 14 months. He was also ordered to install an ignition interlock on every vehicle titled or registered to him. The felony causing injury charge was dropped.
UPDATE: Schwigel pleaded no-contest to the misdemeanor drunken driving charge on Aug. 30, 2013, and was found guilty. He was sentenced to 30 days in the Huber facility and fined $1,1009. His driver’s license was revoked for 14 months, and he was ordered to install an ignition interlock on every vehicle titled or registered to him. The felony causing injury charge was dropped.
- Meeting to discuss possible extension to Springdale Road (0)
- Traffic backup on I-94 eastbound near Sawyer Road (0)
- Eagle firefighter dies in fatal Town of Mukwonago accident (0)
- East Troy Community Band hosts Swing Nouveau (0)
- Hartland plan commission approves preliminary plans for new subdivision (0)
- Rep. David Craig recognized for support of Wisconsin industry (0)
- County briefs Delafield on waste contracts (0)
- Drivers Ed class to begin Aug. 4 at Hamilton High School (0)
- Body pulled from private pond (0)
- Swallow School hosts presentation and tour on Tuesday (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts