Lake Country Publications Sports Director JR Radcliffe provides tidbits and details from the Lake Country prep sports scene to the Wisconsin sports world at large. His weekly column presents exclusive interviews, commentaries and observations.
J.J. Watt, the former Pewaukee star who has gone on to become the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in his second year with the Houston Texans, continues to see his profile grow in a positive way during the offseason.
Watt, who has always shown a keen awareness of the social media world, visited a 6-year-old girl after a video of her went viral. In the video, the girl is upset because she recognizes she's not old enough to marry J.J., so he shows up and presents her a candy ring for a one-day marriage to the lovestruck Texans fan.
Weddings are apparently an offseason theme for J.J., who arranged another surprise visit after a viral picture of a massive wedding cake in Watt's likeness. The groom was working on a rig in the Gulf, but the newlywed bride was there to meet Watt.
Mark Stewart and JR Radcliffe discuss high school sports in this weekly video.
- Ten stories to watch in 2014 prep football season (0)
- Fifty years of summer baseball has served area well (0)
- Fillies play role in resuscitation of softball in Milwaukee (0)
- Gard: verbal agreement as tenuous as you'd expect (0)
- Former Green Bay Packer Green's visibility remains constant (0)
- The All-Star Game's fatal flaw has gone on long enough (0)
- Specialization: a bad thing, or key to World Cup success? (0)
- Schlundt's lesser-traveled path winds to Wisconsin (0)
- Fade of summer baseball doesn't sit well with everyone (0)
- Impressions from a wet and wild 2014 state track meet (0)
- More Preps Alcove posts