City of Waukesha — A 34-year-old homeless man was charged with misdemeanor resisting an officer and disorderly conduct after allegedly screaming obscenities and refusing to leave the Alano Club, a “bar” for recovering alcoholics, on Feb. 9.
Jacob J. Smith was “extremely intoxicated” according to the criminal complaint, registering a .267 on a police administered breath test.
He has been arrested 35 times since the age of 17, according to the complaint, and had just been released from prison on Jan. 31. He was charged in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Feb. 11.
According to the criminal complaint:
Police found Smith laying down inside the Alano Club, 318 W. Broadway, at around 7:45 p.m. on Feb. 9. Patron Michael Mann said Smith was yelling at people outside on Broadway before coming inside and saying he was homeless. Mann bought Smith food and coffee and the man allegedly began screaming obscenities and causing a disturbance.
Smith was alleged to be so loud an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting upstairs in the premises was disrupted and members came down to see what all the yelling and commotion was about.
Smith then laid on the floor and refused to leave. Police arrested Smith, who shouted slurs at the arresting officers.
While police were walking him to the squad car he tensed up and allegedly appeared to be ready to lunge at one of the officers. Smith was further restrained and placed within the squad car.
He was refused entry at the jail because of his extreme drunken state and was instead taken to the hospital for clearance.
If convicted of all charges, Smith could face up to a year in prison.
His next expected court date is Feb. 28.
- Friends of Vernon Marsh hold educational small prairie burn today (0)
- Easter activities for the whole family (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- Big Bend/Vernon Lions host egg hunt (0)
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts