Section Elementary School will pilot an Innovative Personalized Learning Community (IPLC) after gaining approval of the Mukwonago Area School Board on Monday night.
"We are looking at having the opportunity to do what the program is named," Section Principal Bob Slane told school board members.
The pilot would involve two groups of students taught by six teachers, three teachers for grades one through three and three teachers for grades four through six.
Things will look a lot different in the three rooms designated for IPLC, Slane explained. Since rows of desks are not the most effective way for a child to learn, there won’t be a desk for every child, but instead there could be bean bags, soft chairs or students sitting on the floor.
"This would look more like a home type environment than a classroom," Slane added.
The pilot would involve 130 to 150 students split between two groups of grades one through three in one group and grades four through six in another, taught by six teachers — a team of three teachers for each group of up to 75 students. With teachers having the ability to stay with students for three years, it allows students and teachers to pick up learning where they left off each spring rather than spend time assessing at the beginning of each new school year, Slane explained.
A note to Section parents informing them of the pilot opportunity will go out this week, with informational meetings planned in the beginning of March.
- Melges IV wins Blue Chip regatta (0)
- Schimel denies Butler cop's allegations (0)
- Another teenager charged in connection to weapons found at high school (0)
- Area schools thrive in recent DPI report card (0)
- Presentation of Salem Witch Trials on Oct. 22 (0)
- Car thefts spark sheriff's warning to protect property near Norris Adolescent Center (0)
- Hawkfest tomorrow (0)
- Children's book release party at OPL (0)
- Drug drop off Sept. 27 (0)
- Mukwonago students skype with Shark Tank cast (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007