Village of Nashotah - Lake Country Fire and Rescue (LCFR) officials decided tonight to break off fire department consolidation discussions with the Town of Delafield and the Village of Hartland so they could focus on merger discussions with the City of Oconomowoc fire department.
The decision was announced following a one hour closed session by a committee of representatives of the City of Delafield and the villages of Chenequa and Nashotah, the communities that finance, and are served by, the regional fire and emergency medical response agency.
Committee Chairman Rich Lartz, president of the Village of Nashotah, said the committee decided that LCFR would be in danger of growing too fast and too big if it absorbed the Oconomowoc, Town of Delafield and Hartland fire departments at the same time.
Lartz said City of Oconomowoc officials have said they are prepared to begin consolidation discussions immediately while officials from the Town of Delafield and the Village of Hartland have been hesistant about committing to a consolidation with LCFR.
Oconomowoc, the Town of Delafield and the Village of Hartland indicated late last year they might be interested in consolidating with Lake Country Fire and Rescue. Consolidation discussions were held in August, September and February.
Meanwhile, Town of Delafield resident Edward T. Kranick said he may file a complaint with the Waukesha County District Attorney's office that tonight's meeting at the Nashotah Village Hall violated the state's open meeting law. Kranich said it was unnecessary for the meeting to be conducted in closed session.
Two members of the committee, Julie Swenson of Nashotah and Alderman Gerald MacDougall of the City of Delafield, voted against the closed session. Swenson and Delafield Mayor Ed McAleer had previously said they did not think the closed session was necessary. McAleer was unable to attend the meeting because of an illness.
- ACT scores up for area schools (0)
- Hensler's granddaughter dies in tragic beach accident (0)
- Hensler Field dedication highlights Mukwonago football game (0)
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007