Village of Butler - A Waukesha County Sheriff's investigation that compares the Butler Police Department to a college fraternity because of the behavior of some of its officers is expected to be released Thursday, according to sources familiar with the report.
The voluminous report includes summaries of the activities of five police officers including the retired police chief who participated in what one former police officer described as "porn in the morn."
The officers, including the chief, occasionally viewed and emailed pornographic photos on village electronic equipment including computers and cellular telephones. In addition, the officers engaged in conversations that included sexually and racially offensive language, according to the report.
One of the officers has been referred to the Waukesha County District Attorney's office for possible prosecution. The sources declined to describe the potential severity of the charges that might be brought against the police officer.
Police Chief Michael Cosgrove, a 33 year veteran of the department, announced his retirement in the midst of the investigation.
Ironically, the report exonerates Cosgrove of alleged violations of some department policies but said he was an active participant and contributed to the offensive culture within the department.
The sheriff's office was asked to conduct an investigation after village officials received complaints last year about the chief and the department.
Portions of the report have been released to Village Trustees, according to Village Administrator Jesse Thyes who said steps have been taken to prevent a recurrence of some of the offensive behavior.
"Other than that, I don't have much to add until the report is released," he concluded.
- Hensler's granddaughter dies in tragic beach accident (0)
- Hensler Field dedication highlights Mukwonago football game (0)
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007