I am what many would call a "Foodie" - amateurs who simply love food and/or drink for consumption, study, preparation and news.
Now the statement above should make it clear that I do not have any formal training when it comes to food preparation. I have, however, been told that I am a pretty good cook and I hope you enjoy reading this column as much as I enjoy writing it.
Follow me on twitter @Cooks_CornerLCP
It’s a New Year and resolutions are in full swing and my two youngest kids have (officially) decided to jump on the New Year’s resolution wagon. Now while my son Sebastian has been eating pretty healthy for a while now, his “baby” sister Milena has decided to join him. This next recipe was reposted by my sister Ana on Facebook and will kick off the healthy menu. This is a cabbage loving family, so I’m hoping it will quickly become a side dish staple. It comes from Daisy Egnisaban.
Garlic Rubbed Roasted Cabbage Steak
1 head of green cabbage, approximately about 2 pounds, cut into 1-inch thick slices
1½ tablespoons olive oil
2 to 3 large garlic cloves, smashed
Feshly ground black pepper
Non-stick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray a baking sheet with the non-stick cooking spray.
Pull off the outer leaf of the cabbage and discard. Cut the cabbage from top to bottom (bottom being root) into 1-inch thick slices and rub both sides of cabbage with the smashed garlic then using a brush, evenly spread the olive oil over both sides of the cabbage slices and finish by sprinkling each side with a bit of kosher salt and some freshly cracked black pepper.
Roast on the middle rack for 30 minutes, carefully flip and roast for an additional 30 minutes until edges are brown and crispy. Serve hot and enjoy.
If you’re not hopping on the healthy New Year bandwagon, try sprinkling some crispy bacon over the cooked cabbage for a tasty treat.
- August was National Peach Month - yum: Paula's crust & Logan's Peach Pie (0)
- Summer in Wisconsin equals chili: Basic chili from leftover taco meat (0)
- Some recipes just scream summer: No bake raspberry lemon bars (0)
- It’s 5 o’clock somewhere: Bourbon Slush (0)
- Not too hot, not too sweet equals just right: Old Settlers Baked Beans (0)
- That's a wrap: Chicken Lettuce Wraps (0)
- Ree’s forgetfulness benefits us all: Coconut Curry Shrimp (0)
- Welcome to Miami: Cuban-style skirt steak with classic sour orange mojo (0)
- If you miss mashed potatoes, try this: Cauliflower Mash (0)
- Trying the low carb approach: Low Carb Pizza (0)
- More Cook's Corner posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007