I am what many would call a "Foodie" - amateurs who simply love food and/or drink for consumption, study, preparation and news.
Now the statement above should make it clear that I do not have any formal training when it comes to food preparation. I have, however, been told that I am a pretty good cook and I hope you enjoy reading this column as much as I enjoy writing it.
Follow me on twitter @Cooks_CornerLCP
It’s a New Year and resolutions are in full swing and my two youngest kids have (officially) decided to jump on the New Year’s resolution wagon. Now while my son Sebastian has been eating pretty healthy for a while now, his “baby” sister Milena has decided to join him. This next recipe was reposted by my sister Ana on Facebook and will kick off the healthy menu. This is a cabbage loving family, so I’m hoping it will quickly become a side dish staple. It comes from Daisy Egnisaban.
Garlic Rubbed Roasted Cabbage Steak
1 head of green cabbage, approximately about 2 pounds, cut into 1-inch thick slices
1½ tablespoons olive oil
2 to 3 large garlic cloves, smashed
Feshly ground black pepper
Non-stick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray a baking sheet with the non-stick cooking spray.
Pull off the outer leaf of the cabbage and discard. Cut the cabbage from top to bottom (bottom being root) into 1-inch thick slices and rub both sides of cabbage with the smashed garlic then using a brush, evenly spread the olive oil over both sides of the cabbage slices and finish by sprinkling each side with a bit of kosher salt and some freshly cracked black pepper.
Roast on the middle rack for 30 minutes, carefully flip and roast for an additional 30 minutes until edges are brown and crispy. Serve hot and enjoy.
If you’re not hopping on the healthy New Year bandwagon, try sprinkling some crispy bacon over the cooked cabbage for a tasty treat.
- It’s 5 o’clock somewhere: Bourbon Slush (0)
- Not too hot, not too sweet equals just right: Old Settlers Baked Beans (0)
- That's a wrap: Chicken Lettuce Wraps (0)
- Ree’s forgetfulness benefits us all: Coconut Curry Shrimp (0)
- Welcome to Miami: Cuban-style skirt steak with classic sour orange mojo (0)
- If you miss mashed potatoes, try this: Cauliflower Mash (0)
- Trying the low carb approach: Low Carb Pizza (0)
- A taste of Mexico: Camarones (shrimp) a la Mexicana (0)
- Rockin' ribs at Hideaway Bar & Grill: Potluck spareribs (0)
- Thanks for nothing: Easy Breaded Chicken (0)
- More Cook's Corner posts